Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

Share |

Seal off crawlspace or leave as-is?

Hi All,

I have a crawlspace foundation in a renovation that I'm debating what to do with. I currently have it vented with automatic foundation vents and have spread 6mil poly on the ground. There does not appear to be any sort of moisture problem now. There was in the past since there was white mold in some places, it has since been corrected by unblocking vegetation-blocked vents and adding a french drain.

However, I am considering closing off the vents to the crawlspace and dehumidifying the space. Since I recently removed vents for the old floor furnaces that go from the crawlspace up into the attic, I already have the holes cut to place ducts. The plan would be to have an intake duct and exhaust duct hooked up to a dehumidifier with a drainage pump, which I would hook up to drain into my main drain line. The ducts are placed at opposite ends of the crawlspace. The dehumidifier would be running in the attic space. While we do have winters that usually get slightly below freezing, the dehumidifier has auto-defrost and auto-shutoff features. This would mean that it would not be dehumidifying when it falls below freezing, but my foundation would be closed then anyway. Other than when freezing, the dehumidifier would be running constantly.

Right now I am planning on putting in the dehumidifier. Unless it will result in the crawlspace being more humid than it currently is I will probably go ahead with it, even if I could leave it alone and probably be fine (I am "that kind" of proactive/anal-retentive/crazy) But since I have only lived in houses with crawlspace foundations for ~1.5 years I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knows of any problems or unforeseen consequences that may arise.

Here is a simple diagram of what I am planning on doing:

Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #2

I would leave it as is and have it treated with some form of Boric acid to kill and prevent the mold from spreading.
Timbor is one product that comes to mind.
Any exterminator can do it if you do not want to.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would leave it as is and have it treated with some form of Boric acid to kill and prevent the mold from spreading.
Timbor is one product that comes to mind.
Any exterminator can do it if you do not want to.
I already treated the mold with boracare and the rest of the unaffected wood with timbor (apparently boracare will penetrate wood deeper). I should have put that in the original post.

I'm not doing this to fix the mold, I just want to have my crawlspace be as dry as possible. I imagine this will be better for the life of my home. Right now with it having vents the lowest humidity possible is limited by the outside humidity at any given time.
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawlspace, dehumidifier, foundation, humidity, moisture