Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Scroll condenser making a little noise.

For those that have been following along, I installed some used 2.5T units in an older home. I have been watching things very close since installed a couple weeks ago. I noticed that the condenser is louder than normal right now but everything else temp and current wise seem good. OUr ambient temp is only about 57F right now but we obviously have some heat loads in the house that need chilled.

My delta T from intake for the return to just above the A coils is 24F right now. My amp draw on the compressor is 9.4A at 240V. Everything looks really good but I am getting worried. Not sure if the cooler weather is causing some liquid to make it back to the compressor??

Thoughts?

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
For those that have been following along, I installed some used 2.5T units in an older home. I have been watching things very close since installed a couple weeks ago. I noticed that the condenser is louder than normal right now but everything else temp and current wise seem good. OUr ambient temp is only about 57F right now but we obviously have some heat loads in the house that need chilled.

My delta T from intake for the return to just above the A coils is 24F right now. My amp draw on the compressor is 9.4A at 240V. Everything looks really good but I am getting worried. Not sure if the cooler weather is causing some liquid to make it back to the compressor??

Thoughts?
After reinstalling the return grills and adding an air filter, that retarded the air flow enough to get better numbers. As well things are starting to shape up now. I did not test humidity but it was likely VERY near 100% with rain pouring here. I am dumping 2gal/hr right now and that certainly would change my delta.

I retested right above the A coil compared to return air temp and I am at 22F. Looks pretty good to me. Testing at the vents shows about a 12F delta. This house has not seen AC for a year so I suspect the wood and such are pretty moist and will take some time to dry out!

I thought you were funing then and I think you are doing it again.

If you are knowledgeable enough to take an amp draw and a delta T you know whats wrong. You don't play the uninformed DIY very well.
Last time after getting the input of the pros you pulled the answer out of your back pocket along with a few facts you didn't bother including when you first asked the question.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 AM   #3

Did you not get your coffee this morning...

Not real sure what I did to agitate you. As said before, I am just a mechanical engineer without specific experience in HVAC. Yes, I can figure stuff out many times but asking experienced vets on this one because it should be a simple answer IMO.

My thoughts are that this can be just some vibration of the unit I need to resolve, there is liquid making it back to the compressor due to cooler ambient and the slinging is causing excessive noise, or there is a major issue with the compressor that will show true very soon....

Not sure what I "pulled out of my hat" before. I was unsure what a good delta should be and had to look that up. After learning 15-25F, I started the study to determine if the system was running right. Since then, I have learned that the system is performing dead on BUT this house is so unbelievably inefficient, even a 2.5T in a 1000sf home is struggling. No insulation in some walls, I could flick the windows and break them, 3" insul in the attic, etc. The work will continue to tighten up the house. That is just ridiculous.

Make no mistake about it, you guys have helped more than you know. Absolutely no one around here knows heat pumps. I had a guy tell me a was dead wrong about both pressures being high to the A coil in heat mode. I felt like an ass having to explain to the "parts distributor" that the system "reverses" and you will only see a delta T across the lines to the A coil because it is functioning as the condenser coil.

Anywho, I did NOT know what evacuating the system to a certain "micron" level was.... The only microns I work with is in CNC machining. I had to school up on micron vacuum measurements. Pretty damn interesting and now I want a micron gauge on my vac pump....

Last edited by viper; 09-29-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #4

I guess your post just proved my point.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #5

You say that like I am somehow insulting you by not being a total idiot.

Should a guy be specifically stupid to come to a DIY forum for help? I already tried the """PRO""" forum and they are MUCH to good for me . I got the boot. All I got was "hire a pro". So, should I find the "semi DIY/wannabie" forum? LOL

Last edited by viper; 09-29-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #6

I did notice that when the ambient temp is warmer, the condenser sounds much better. Wondering if this is indication of an over charge or if the fan system is usually equipt with a temp sensor to lock out the fan on cool days?
Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #7

Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,766

If it is 57F outside open the da*n windows and get free cooling.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:15 PM   #9

The OP tried going to Hvac-talk with this post when I told him what I thought of it.

It got a REAL cool welcome there.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #10

LOL, some people just having nothing better to do. I still want to know who beat on you as a child.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #11

You have made it so no one on any board is going to trust your posts.

I actually have a great deal of sympathy for you.