Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:20 AM   #1

Share |

Safety Rollout switch issues

So what exactly does the safety rollout switch do.. I know its in series with the blocked vent switch. So when it trips out what is it that is preventing.. The problem is my rollout switch isnt working. theres no continuity through it. So test this theory ijumped the switch for a few second and the bloiler started up fine. So now i have to replace that switch but i dont know what causes it to burn out like that so i can stop it. The boiler is a Sentinel SE-175DS. I did notice alot of black soot in the bottom of the boiler and around the access door.And at -25C outside i need toget to the bottom of this issue soon. On a side note i'll never buy another house with boiler heating again

DannyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

The rollout switch is there for when the boiler/heat exchanger is plugged with soot from burning dirty. You now have an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SITUATION with it bypassed. The burner is producing CARBON MONOXIDE fumes/gases and spilling them into your house which can KILL you or make you and your family extremely sick. You need to get a Pro to clean the boiler and find out why the soot is there. DO NOT run it w/o that switch. If it catches on fire your insurance co is going to be all over you.

Last edited by yuri; 02-18-2011 at 05:20 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #3

i only bypassed the switch to check the circuit which was maybe 2 minnutes.. i did not leave it that way. I know the hazards of bypassing the switch..
DannyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #4

The safety protects exactly what the name says. As your heat exchanger or flue becomes clogged with soot the flame burns away the oxygen. When this happens the flame almost looks like liquid as it rolls out of the nearest opening to the closest source of oxygen it can find. If you have soot in your boiler clogging enough air flow to kick it out you need to have it professionaly cleaned and inspected to determine the cause. You should have your older furnace or boilers serviced yearly.
college A/C is offline   Reply With Quote