?'s About Not Using My HVAC Sys. - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
jpc
jc

Rewards Points: 158
Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

?'s about not using my HVAC sys.

With recent problem's Ive been having with my heat pump to now not working at all. I turned the breaker's off, and setup a couple portable unit's along with two window unit's to keep the house cool and humidity out for the next month or two while I get my finance's in order to replace the whole system. In the mean time, would there be any problem's if I were to cover the supply and return vent's to keep the living and attic space seperate? Are there any precaution's I should take in what im planning? or anything I should do with the units while not in use? I really appreciate any input or advise I receive, and what to thank you all in advance

Advertisement

jpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 156

There should be no problem covering the vents until you get a new system... just be certain to uncover them when it is time.

Shutting the breakers off is fine and about the only thing you can do other than wait for the money to replace everything.

What problems have you had with the heat pump and what steps have been taken to fix them? How old is it? What brand? You know the drill.

Advertisement

FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
jpc
jc

The two attachments r the I'd plates off my outside unit, and the recently insurance replaced handler, I had a company come out twice, 1) evap coil filthy, needs cleaning. Couple days later came back out and said unfixable due to being uncompatible units. Next day, blowing outside temp air out of registers, too copper lines leading out to compressor were both near ambient temp and compresser was making a slight squeeling noise.so I shut it down. Sorry for conpressed version..I'm using phone until I get home.hard to bw thorough punching these small keys lol

Name:  56699d1346581242t-dark-concerning-my-home-central-system-20120901_163456-2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  56700d1346582299t-dark-concerning-my-home-central-system-20120801_184607-3.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  18.7 KB

Sent from JC using DIY Chatroom
Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,696

If your duct system is in the attic I wouldn't bother covering supply registers and possibly not the return. The hot attic air won't come down and the colder air your temporary units produce won't rise without a mechanical means.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
jpc
jc

You're right about the heat not falling down but I do notice the humidity hovering around the registers. And with the one or two leaking ducks that I know I have, I'm worried that eventually mosquitoes will work their way through

Sent from JC using DIY Chatroom