Ruud Silhouette II Furnace Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ruud Silhouette II Furnace Problem

Hi;
I have a ruud furnace (UGPH-05EAUER) that wont stay running. The unit goes through the start up cycle. The electronic igniter will start sparking, and
the flame will ignite. It will run good for about 5-7 seconds, then
it it will go out like the unit cut the gas off. I think it is probably a
flame sensor issue, but I am not sure what it is called.

This furnace has a circuit board with 3 leds. Two are green and one is
yellow. It says Flame. This light flashes about once every second while the gas is burning. It goes out immediately after the 5-7 seconds when the gas is cut off. The other two leds stay solid green. I cant find a manual to see how to read these. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Advertisement

komobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 836

Remove and clean the flame sensor with fine steel wool or emory paper. Should look like this and sit in front of one of the burners.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 06:03 PM   #3

Yuri;

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I cleaned the tip and it is working great. Thanks Again!
komobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #4

I have cleaned the sensor 3 or 4 times and my furnace still won't stay lit. I have the board with 3 lights and the flame light never comes on during start-up. I also cleaned all the burners ad checked most of the connections on the circuit board. Can anyone suggest anything else I can check? Oh yeah, it was working yesterday...
Thanks
Gitfiddler
Gitfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddler View Post
I have cleaned the sensor 3 or 4 times and my furnace still won't stay lit. I have the board with 3 lights and the flame light never comes on during start-up. I also cleaned all the burners ad checked most of the connections on the circuit board. Can anyone suggest anything else I can check? Oh yeah, it was working yesterday...
Thanks
Gitfiddler
Do you have a multi-meter? Only way to know for sure what's going on is to get a DC microamp reading from the flame sensor and check AC voltage from the sensor wire to ground.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #6

Thanks Marty, I read in another thread where you said that the reading should be 1.8 microamps or over when the flame is on the rod...my question is where do I place the pos. and neg.? Also what should te reading be with no flame?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #7

The control board sends AC voltage to the flame sensor which jumps through the flame and returns to the board via ground(burners first) as DC voltage. First step would be stick one lead of meter on the spade connected end of the flame sensor and the other to ground. With a call for heat you should have 28-80 volts AC. Actual voltage depends on which control board and I do not know the specific range on yours. If no voltage then the board is bad.

To check the microamps disconnect the wire on the flame sensor and put the meter between the sensor and the wire(set to DC microamps). With no flame there can be no microamp reading since the AC voltage needs to go through it to be rectified to DC. If the sensor is clean(and insulator not cracked or fouled with carbon) with AC voltage coming from the board(confirmed in step one) and the DC microamp reading low then the problem is the return path through ground. Most often that's surface rust on the burners.

Edit-Had a UGPH today and it was 100 volts to the flame sensor and 3.2 microamps.

Last edited by Marty S.; 11-29-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #8

Thank you kind sir, I really appreciate the help!! It's nice to have someone like you around when us HVAC morons have a prob! I'll try these steps and let you know the outcome.
Gitfiddler
Old 11-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #9

I'm just trying to avoid having to hook up a gazillion BTU AC in the afterlife. Hopefully these good deeds will offset my teen years
Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #10

I decided to take a short-cut and was able to obtain a flame sensor that would work. Still no joy, so I went and bought yet another filter, put that in and took apart the wiring connections and did a cursory cleaning...I blew any dust and crud out of them and put them back together...all of a sudden everything works perfect!! I even put the old sensor back in. Been nice and toasty all night...I think sometimes if you go the simple route it's sometimes the best one!!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #11

I am having an issue with my furnace ,it will not ignite it was working yesterday but now nothing anybody know what I should do at this point

Advertisement

buckeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote