Ruud Problems - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ruud Problems

I have a Ruud Acheiver 90, I'm having some problems, the rollout (burner) limit switches are opening, and there is an electrical burning smell. It seems that sometimes the squirrel cage isn't kicking on, but when I reset manual limits and give the squirrel cage a manual turn, the heater runs fine, sometimes. I guess what I'm asking is: would the fan motor only work sometimes, would the ignition plug give off an electrical burning smell (it's lighting fine), there is a separate thermocoupling, it seems to be fine..... Filter is new.... Just wondering if the squirrel cage's start/run capaciter would be the cause.... IFC seems to be operating fine... All other systems seem to be operating fine... It's almost like the fan motor is getting stuck, and when it doesn't kick on, the limit opens up... Please Help.....

Advertisement

makohotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ruud Problems

perhaps oiling the shaft/bearings would help? sounds 'dirty' to me.

DM

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #3

Ruud Problems

Definately sounds like a possible fix, how do I grease them, and how would I clean the squirrel cage? Thanks for the reply... You Rock...
Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #4

Ruud Problems

DM, the heater's manual sayys not to lubricate shaft or bearings, that they are prelubed..... How do I clean the fan.... I put a vacuum on it and did the best I could, the unit seems to be running fine, but last night it did the same thing, and then tripped the limit switch.... I have 2 small kids and just lost my job..... so I'm trying to fix this as cheaply as possible.... 15 years @ Chrysler and they yank the rug out.......
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
the Musigician

Ruud Problems

that was going to be my next suggestion, to give it a good cleaning.... hmmmmmm
besides replacement, i don't know without seeing the unit.
personally i don't see where a few drops of machine oil will hurt...but don't quote me on that.
anyone else?

DM
Old 01-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #6

Ruud Problems

Thanks DM, I yanked the whole fan unit and am going to replace it and the caps today.... The fact that the motor winding is starting to burn up has me scared..... If it doesn't go now, it will soon.... Thanks for taking the time to help.... Again, You Rock!
HotRod
Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
the Musigician

Ruud Problems

yeah, with the burn smell.... i'd replace it too. but since you said $$$ is a concern, i thought the oil may have eked out a bit more life from it.

DM

Advertisement