Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |

RUUD LP gas heating quits firing

Hello, At night time when temps drow in or below the 20's my heating wont fire back off when it shuts off after reaching thermostat setpoint. I can smell gas at the unit outside and I can hear the ignitor sound like its sparking but once it suts down it wont re-fire to the next day when the sun comes up and warms up???

Bobby OHern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #2

you have lp gas (propane) right?

hvac kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac kid View Post
you have lp gas (propane) right?
Hello Yes I have LP gas. I just cleaned the Ignitor probes and put it back in and tried it and it clicked but did not spark as it is now to cold.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

ok so i'm guessing so. what it sounds like is that its getting to cold for the propane ( lp gas ) to boil or vaporize. when it gets that cold it stays in the liquid form. and there for it cant make fire until it heats up enough to vaporize. best sugestion is to switch natural gas.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #5

so during the day it runs fine?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

even with it being cold you should still get spark
Old 12-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #7

well i got to go. do a call for heat look at everything that it is doing untill it stops. and when it stops and let us know. also when it shuts off see if theres a blinking led light on your control board, count the # blinks and let us know that to.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac kid View Post
even with it being cold you should still get spark
During the day it will run almost always and I can get the same results from the night if I turn the thermostat up to an uncomfortable temp setting (75 degrees) so that it minimizes the time the heater stays off. If I turn the thermostat to a lower setting so that it stays off longer, it usually wont come back on. I took the panel cover off to the burner and watched the ignitor spark succesfully but when I shut it down and left it off for an hour or so it would not come back on. The ignitor clicked but produced no spark.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Seasoned DIYer

With the gas shut off, when the igniter is attempting to run, but not sparking, what happens when you try to get the HV to spark directly to chassis?

If you can get it to spark, but not with the igniter connected, I would suspect moisture shorting the path. Check for cracked porcelain on spark plug and degraded HV cable. If none is found, you can still spray some of this at the igniter.
http://www.castleproductsonline.com/..._compound.html

How old is the furnace by the way?

If the module intermittently fails to produce spark directly to chassis/ground, the module must be replaced.

If your old unit has an older S86 modules, its less forgiving to intermittent issues, because it will go into a hard lock after a few failed attempts requiring power cycling at thermostat. The newer universal S8610 models will continuously try. It's not that the issue is corrected, but it will keep trying and trying every five minutes until it lights up.
HVAC_NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC_NW View Post
With the gas shut off, when the igniter is attempting to run, but not sparking, what happens when you try to get the HV to spark directly to chassis?

If you can get it to spark, but not with the igniter connected, I would suspect moisture shorting the path. Check for cracked porcelain on spark plug and degraded HV cable. If none is found, you can still spray some of this at the igniter.
http://www.castleproductsonline.com/..._compound.html

How old is the furnace by the way?

If the module intermittently fails to produce spark directly to chassis/ground, the module must be replaced.

If your old unit has an older S86 modules, its less forgiving to intermittent issues, because it will go into a hard lock after a few failed attempts requiring power cycling at thermostat. The newer universal S8610 models will continuously try. It's not that the issue is corrected, but it will keep trying and trying every five minutes until it lights up.
The unit is dated on the ID plate 10/1998 I think this unit must have the s8610 module because sometime the next day it will start up all on its own without being reset.
Do I spray the silicone spray on the porcelin and probe as well or just on the cable?

Last edited by Bobby OHern; 12-21-2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added a question.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Post a pic of it with the front doors off so we can see which unit you have.