Ruud Furnace Will Not Start - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ruud furnace will not start

Furnace will not kick on, pilot light is lit and the blower works. replaced the thermostat but that did not help. how do i go about trouble shooting.

Advertisement

tclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Pilot light? How old is the furnace?

Advertisement

sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #3

around 1985
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclarke View Post
Furnace will not kick on, pilot light is lit and the blower works. replaced the thermostat but that did not help. how do i go about trouble shooting.

Is the inducer motor coming on? That would be the little blower wheel assembly that vents the burnt exhaust fumes from the gas out of the home through the flue pipe. Think muffler on a car.

Pull the door off of the unit, tape the door switch down so the control board receives power, turn the stat to heat and auto and run and check. The inducer motor should be the first thing to come on. Not the actual blower that brings air into your home but the little exhaust blower wheel.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #5

that would be the small pipe on top going to the chimney right, I did like you suggested but nothing happens. There use to be a noise right before it came on but now it is silent.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclarke View Post
that would be the small pipe on top going to the chimney right, I did like you suggested but nothing happens. There use to be a noise right before it came on but now it is silent.

Check to see if the inducer motor has the required voltage at the terminals where the two wires connect to the inducer motor. Be careful as it will be high voltage so 115 or 120. Obviously you will need a meter with ac voltage capability.

Remember, you have to check with the door switch closed so taped and the system calling for heat.

If the inducer has power to it but is not coming on then you will be needing a new inducer motor. It is not uncommon and for a unit that was made in 1985 I'd have to say yours lasted two life times.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 03-26-2011 at 06:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
tclarke (03-26-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Im not positive on this but doesnt the standing pilot systems just use thermocouple and 24 volts.I thought the inducer motors were used on just hot surface ignitors with a flaME SENSOR.wOULDNT THE INDUCER MOTOR PUT THE FLAME OUT ON A STANDING PILOT SYSTEM...jUST ASKING!
1mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Im not positive on this but doesnt the standing pilot systems just use thermocouple and 24 volts.I thought the inducer motors were used on just hot surface ignitors with a flaME SENSOR.wOULDNT THE INDUCER MOTOR PUT THE FLAME OUT ON A STANDING PILOT SYSTEM...jUST ASKING!

ruud/rheem/weatherking, and also carrier /bryant had a 80% efficient induced draft furnace with a standing pilot. I've ran across 2 of these, they are not common. They have a pilot hood that is attached to the inducer to allow the pilot fumes to go up the chimney.

Last edited by hvactech126; 03-27-2011 at 12:22 AM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
how

Rewards Points: 620

I've seen a couple of those in my day but 1985 might also have had Rudds without an inducer which will really have tclarke wondering about some of these postings.
Rudd had a sweet arrangement that had same opening that would take off the pilot fumes capable of blowing out the pilot flame if the vent became restricted or the inducer failed . Some also have some snap vent limits that are about the size of a nickel with a reset button that will need to be pushed back in if it has tripped.
The no-heat problem will probably be in the 24V circuit and should be tested with the thermostat turned up high.
Trouble shooting requires the electrical know how to check out the route of the 24 volts from the transformer through the safety limits, pressure switch, gas valve and back to the transformer. Where it stops will give you a clue of the problem. You should also check if the whole thermostat wiring circuit is good. If this is not within your range of experience, call a tech.

A photo of the gas valve and controls would help us here..
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

I hope I gave him the correct info. It would appear that he checked to see if the inducer was coming on so I'd have to assume he has one.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #11
how

Rewards Points: 620

Hey Doc

Half of my furnace contracts use thermocouples. I went into a Carrier supply house last week to hear the tech there wonder if he should even be carrying thermocouples anymore.

From my perspective they are a critical part of my workload, from his view point it was just who uses those anymore. It was one of those dinosaur moments.

Assuming is an indelicate enough art in person but I find doing it over the "puter" is up there with magic. I wasn't suggesting you didn't give him him the correct info just that if he was looking at 70% furnace, none of what was written would make any sense. I wasn't sure from his response if he understood what you were really asking him about.

Most of these diagnostic info requests write as if heating systems are generic which results in a lot of guessing. I guess that I'd like to suggest that those responding here (Myself included) attempt to solicit more basic unit info up front for everyones safety.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to how For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #12

I tried taking off the top front where the pipe go into the chimney their is nothing there seems to just vent for the whole unit, Pilots are burning I would not know how to go about checking the voltage. I replaced the thermostat in the house in case that was the problem. The blower works when I switch it on, at the thermostat. Do the safety switches ever go bad and is there a way of checking that.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,098

checking of safeties will require use of a multimeter, and with you not knowing how to go about checking voltages, then you are stuck calling a pro. better to do that than risk messing something up and having something bad happen to you, your home, or your family. IMO.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

hey guys whats going on? Thanks for the info as due to Im living in an area that doesnt use very much furnace operation.In the upper north regions they use a lot of furnaces but here in the valley there not used much.A lot of heat pumps are used and dont run into older furnaces.Thanks for the info
1mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

If this picture works, the little black wheel on the far left would be the draft inducer motor. Just on top of that is the flue pipe, the muffler looking curved metal pipe, where the exhaust flows out through. If you have an inducer motor, it would look similar to this set up.

Yes, this is in my living room.

Advertisement