Ruud Furnace - No Heat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ruud Furnace - No Heat

I have a Ruud Model UGRA furnace. According to the specifications it has a Direct Spark Ignitor. I have read the troubleshooting information below and have several questions. Because it has a direct spark ignitor I realize the ignitor will not glow. I hear a clicking sound but cannot see a spark. Is the clicking sound the arcing of the spark across the gap? I have the lights dimmed and cannot see a spark.Should I be able to see the spark?

I also cannot hear the gas hissing. Is the problem the ignitor or the gas valve not opening? Or is there some other issue causing the gas not to ignite?

Can I manually (safely) hold a flame to the burner to rule out the gas valve?

Thanks

1. Thermostat calls for heat.

2. Draft inducer motor starts.

3. Pressure switch attached by a small plastic or rubber tube senses the negative pressure produced by the draft inducer and closes.

4. Draft inducer runs for 30 seconds to a minute before you hear a gas hissing sound. The ignitor did not glow, the flame sensor (a small metal probe about 1/8" in diameter, with a white porcelain base) does not sense the flame, so after 8 to 10 seconds the hissing sounds stops with no ignition of gas to heat your home. Your furnace shuts down and goes into a lock out condition until you turn your power switch back off and on again. Then the sequence starts all over again with no ignition of the gas.

Advertisement

paschalleddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #2
how

Rewards Points: 624

Ruud Furnace - No Heat

The clicking sound is probably a spark that is making its way to ground but if you can't see it occuring at the pilot outlet then try re routing the ignition line that is conected to the igniter away from any metal that it may be grounding out to before the pilot. In the dark you can usually see where on the line that the spark is making its way to ground. Don't try moving the line when there is an active call for heat or we may not be hearing from you again.

Advertisement

how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #3
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Ruud Furnace - No Heat

HOW buddy! In a direct spark system there is no pilot.It sparks to the burner and igniotes the gas coming out of the burner.
To find the ignitor go from the spark box and follow the heavy wire out under the burner to the ignitor.The flame sensor will be a much thinner wire
I don't know the model you mention but the ignitor is usually an orange wire and the sensor is usually a white wire.Not always but on most units.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
how

Rewards Points: 624

Ruud Furnace - No Heat

Thanks Rep.
A major senior's moment not reading the "DIRECT" part of his discription.
My Bad, mentioning the pilot part of it.

Last edited by how; 10-30-2011 at 11:41 AM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #5

Ruud Furnace - No Heat

So have you found the solution to your problem yet. I believe right at this moment we are experiencing the same problem with our furnace.

Looking for some help.

cheers
longspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #6

Ruud Furnace - No Heat

Fixed mine last night - cause - faulty low pressure switch
longspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #7

Ruud Furnace - No Heat

We have a Lennox Elite Series furnace. Our furnace is in the attic so it is hard to get to. We cannot get it to turn on. We bought a new thermostat and it wasn't the problem. My husband has tried to shut the unit off and then on again but that didn't help. We turned the thermostat down let it sit and then up past 80 degrees and nothing came on but the fan. Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited by RHOWARD; 11-03-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: need to put in type of furnace
RHOWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #8

Ruud Furnace - No Heat

I replaced the ignitor and that did not solve the problem. I called a service contractor in and the gas valve was diagnosed as non functioning. Since my furnace runs on LP I've opted to leave the repair to the technician since the valve must also be modified for LP use.

Thanks again All who took the time to offer help.

Advertisement

paschalleddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote