Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #1

Share |

RUUD furnace new instal trouble

First I dont have the manual with me, have 120v to it, Honywell t-stat works fine 24vac, now the problem all is sealed up , its a 94% type 2" ABS out and free and the furnace nat gas no leaks, system starts but fires up for about 30 secounds the stops restarts after a inute then repeats I am tired but i dont hink i missed anything any clues ? Model is VGTA-07emAES
thansk Phil
spalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi spalletta

You could have any number of problems. The first could be a flue pipe running horizontal but not pitched back to the furnace, this will cause water ponding and will cause it to shuttle pressure switch. Second could be a burner not igniting, it would have to be the one in front of the flame sensor. It could be the flame sensor wire not hooked up. I could be one of the wires in the moldex plug on the board is not seated. It could be low gas pressure. Like I said it could be one or several of these. The other could be improperly sized flue and intake pipes. It could also be the concentric is improperly hooked up, if concentric is used. Look at the control board and the lights will flash a code telling you which direction to start looking. But if I were a betting man, if the furnace worked for a day or so with no problems. I would have to say it is ponded water in the flue pipe.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 01-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #3

Just got back from the unit, found that the voltage polarity was reversed tried it and whala, causing the flame sensor to malfunction, but another question arises someone told me that the new models can only lay horiz in 1 direction is that true ? with the door switch in the top location.
spalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi spalletta

Cool, I am glad you got it running. As far as the horizontal application, I believe that the industry has pretty much gone to a left or right application on most multipois furnaces. The old standard was dedicted downflow horizontal right, upflow horizontal left. I am pretty sure that is a thing of the past now.

Good luck
Rusty