RUUD Experts Wanted! - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

RUUD Experts Wanted!

Model UPLB-048JAZ condenser
Model UBHK-24 air handler with RCHA48A1 inside coil
Inside coil with txv and .157 piston.
Outside condenser with fixed orifice.

Parts replaced by service tech last year: Inside coil and txv. Outside suction accumulator. New dryer. System was charged as per chart on outside condenser which considers outside ambient temperature and suction line temperature. Three years ago the outside condenser coil was replaced. The static air pressures are in the normal range.

The AC mode works flawlessly. The heat mode in this video will show you that the two lines going into and coming out of the suction accumulator are much more than 3 degrees. I will be presenting this to a RUUD representative but wanted to see if this can finally be resolved by one of the techs on this forum.

Advertisement

carlb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

RUUD Experts Wanted!

dude, you have this "problem" since 2008 ..... REPLACE YOUR SYSTEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e8k_..._order&list=UL <==2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF7nG..._order&list=UL

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ar.../t-374532.html

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187977

Txv

Please check these links

Advertisement

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #3

RUUD Experts Wanted!

I wish I just had the money to plunk down on a new system. Yeah, this has been going on a long time and yet still no answer to the problem. We will see what RUUD says and maybe it will help some of the techs for the future.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

RUUD Experts Wanted!

I can't wait to see the final of this case. Make it quick to get to the point not to lose the warranty, since this problem started in 2008. Being without heat for 3 season sucks.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #5

RUUD Experts Wanted!

I think you have the wrong accumulator. A standard accumulator cannot be used in a heat pump application. The standard accumulator uses a larger size orifice, than a heat pump model. The smaller orifice in the heat pump model prevents liquid from exiting the accum during heating operation.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

RUUD Experts Wanted!

I'm trying to kill this post ..... Do you think OP really doesn't have heat for 3 season.....I don't think so.

Easy fix ==> REPLACE UNIT. Call the Mater, super, kick ass RUUD PRO technician or pray a lot.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

RUUD Experts Wanted!

Does Op realize that a suction line drier must be removed especially on heat pump? And that high side should be bi-directional, and probably changed as well. I think he needs to have refrigerant recovered, suction drier removed, line set triple evacuated and finally re-charged.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

RUUD Experts Wanted!

This is not a Ruud problem, this is an install problem.

Me thinks, anyways.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #9

RUUD Experts Wanted!

I guess coils are not matching

Old 10-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #10

RUUD Experts Wanted!

Settle down rookies..I told you the problem.
Any goofball can tell him to replace it. As a tech your job is to repair it, not throw it away after 3 yeats.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #11

RUUD Experts Wanted!

Quote:
I think you have the wrong accumulator. A standard accumulator cannot be used in a heat pump application. The standard accumulator uses a larger size orifice, than a heat pump model. The smaller orifice in the heat pump model prevents liquid from exiting the accumulator during heating operation.
This is very interesting Master of Cold. It makes perfect sense. I will do some research and see what is presently on my system.

I talked to the RUUD tech help. Their explanation was that it is working as designed. That in Heat Mode the system requires more refrigerant than AC Mode and that the suction accumulator was supposed to frost up as well as the outlet tube to the compressor. They say that I will get many "opinions" on the matter but that is because they do not know how the RUUD system is supposed to operate.

I will give you the model number of my accumulator and let you know what I have. Also thanks for not "killing" my post.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #12

RUUD Experts Wanted!

Parker Suction Accumulator Model PA5083-12-7C.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #13

RUUD Experts Wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlb7 View Post
This is very interesting Master of Cold. It makes perfect sense. I will do some research and see what is presently on my system.

I talked to the RUUD tech help. Their explanation was that it is working as designed. That in Heat Mode the system requires more refrigerant than AC Mode and that the suction accumulator was supposed to frost up as well as the outlet tube to the compressor. They say that I will get many "opinions" on the matter but that is because they do not know how the RUUD system is supposed to operate.

I will give you the model number of my accumulator and let you know what I have. Also thanks for not "killing" my post.
So .... the system is working as it should be ......

Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #14

RUUD Experts Wanted!

If you believe the RUUD tech .........

I have more faith in Master of Cold.

Is there something I have done to upset you JJboy? I didn't mean to offend you. I thought this was a forum for information, not to belittle the poster.

Last edited by carlb7; 10-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #15

RUUD Experts Wanted!

Of course not. I think you're worrying about something that is functioning normally, as the RUUD said. After 3 years with your system working in this condition and you still think that a problem.

Ok, since this symptom is normal ...... What is the problem again?

Advertisement