Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

Ruud Achiever 90+ not Satisfying Thermostat

My furnace seems to run normally for several minutes, but then stops before achieving the set-point of my thermostat. It will then stay shut down for more than an hour unless I cycle the thermostat or breaker power. I replaced the thermostat a few weeks ago hoping that was the problem, but there's been no change in the behavior of the furnace. I changed the accordion filter, which was pretty dirty but not opaque. I have also cleaned the flame sensor of my furnace with emory paper, but the problem persists.

Here's the sequence:
1) Blower starts
2) Almost immediately, flames light and go off in less than a second
3) After about 3 minutes, flames light again and stay on for about 15 minutes
4) Flames go out for about 2 minutes
5) Flames fire for about 5 minutes
6) Flames go out for 2 minutes
7) Flames restart for less than a second, and this repeats twice
8) The blower continues to run for several minutes
9) The system shuts down

I don't know how long this problem has existed, because it's only recently gotten cold enough to make a difference here. Previously, the 15 minute burn cycle was probably enough to satisfy the thermostat and I would not have noticed this issue.

I'm a novice when it comes to HVAC, so any and all detailed troubleshooting solutions would be very welcome.
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #2

Could be as simple as a dirty filter, a/c coil and a dirty flsme sensor.

Last edited by SKIP4661; 12-24-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: skip
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #3

Thanks for taking the time to reply, SKIP4661. Since I've already replaced the air filter and cleaned the flame sensor, could you tell me more about the A/C coil? How can I tell if that's the problem? Is that something I would clean, repair or replace? How would I go about identifying and addressing that?
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #4

Sometimes the upstream side of the coil will become restricted from dust and lint build-up. If you can access the coil remove the end plate and inspect the coil.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #5

had the same problem flame kept going out after burning for 20 sec,or 30 sec or 45 sec, or maybe a minute everything else seemed ok fan etc. what it was , it was a tube plastic vacumline from a switch elec , above the little exhaust blower motor thats above the burners for the exhaust blower it was kinked a little too much . take the tube off the blower side , suck on it you should hear a clik clik inside the elec switch make sure the vacum tube is clear of dust etc then try your furnace that sure fixed mine! good luck.
mjshea is offline   Reply With Quote