Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Running all day

I live in NE Texas where the temp is reaching 100 deg. this time of year. We just built a new 2900 sf house with spray in foam insulation. The hvac guy recommended a Lennox 4 ton 2 stage heat pump, M/N XP16-048-230-03 with a ERV system. Is it common for this unit to run for 12 hrs with out ever shutting off. It runs from low speed to hi speed back to low all day long. The temp is maintained to the degree, never going above set point. We built this house trying to save on our utility bills, but I donít see how we are saving any if the unit never shuts off. I think the unit is under sized. Your thoughts please.

bum4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #2

Running all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bum4x4 View Post
I live in NE Texas where the temp is reaching 100 deg. this time of year. We just built a new 2900 sf house with spray in foam insulation. The hvac guy recommended a Lennox 4 ton 2 stage heat pump, M/N XP16-048-230-03 with a ERV system. Is it common for this unit to run for 12 hrs with out ever shutting off. It runs from low speed to hi speed back to low all day long. The temp is maintained to the degree, never going above set point. We built this house trying to save on our utility bills, but I donít see how we are saving any if the unit never shuts off. I think the unit is under sized. Your thoughts please.
since nobody has jumped on will. I would have to say Bum that it is never a good thing when a unit takes that long to bring a house to set temp, or if a unit runs that long. Size doesnt sound to bad but I would be guessing. Maybe the unit is under or overcharged, maybe you should have that contractor back out and make sure to run the normal tests, like superheat and subcooling to make sure unit is running at its optimum performance, good luck, Victor

sparky2474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

Running all day

If its 100 degrees out, and your maintaining set point your golden. Im not positive what your design temp is in Texas, Im guessing 80 deg.(?). Sounds like its working fine.

It actualy costs more to stop and start again.

Now if it doesnt shut off all day on an 80 degree day, that may be a problem.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 07-21-2008 at 11:51 PM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #4

Running all day

Thanks for the replies, after do a little more research I think the unit is sized properly. I have talked to the contractor and he said the unit should cycle periodically and he will be out to check his settings.
bum4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #5

Running all day

I live in southern AZ, and with a 1600 sq foot house I have a 4 ton AC unit. I don't know if there are sizing differences between heat pumps and ACs, but I was told out here that you usually go 1 ton for every 400 sq feet of living space (I assume this is for average height ceilings, my house is one-story).

I would think that TX and AZ would have similar sizing requirements, as it averages about 100 out here for much of the summer (we probably have less humidity, though).

I am not an HVAC expert, though - I am only repeating what I was told. My unit cycles pretty normally at a 103 outside temp and 81 thermostat setting. Maybe if I was trying to keep the house at 72 it might run all day, but at 81/103 it probably runs (very roughly) 30% of the time.

You might check with some of your neighbors to see what kinds/sizes of systems they are running. In my 'cookie cutter' house neighborhood, that 400 sq ft per 1 ton AC figure is very consistent amongst different sized houses.
pweller is offline   Reply With Quote