Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |
Question

RUDD furnace problems

Hi, I am trying to find out what is wrong with my furnace.
It is a RUDD Silhouette II Gas Furnace.

When the furnace is turned on, everything runs as though it is working properly except the igniter never turned red, so I figured it was the igniter.
But, after replacing it, it still won't light.
Could it be the wiring that the igniter is plugged into?

Please help.
magurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

RUDD furnace problems

OK so, I assume the induced draft fan is running but the glow coil does not come on so, at this point the air proving switch has to prove the fan is running AND pulling enough draft otherwise the glow coil will not get power to it.....There is plastic tubing from the ID fan housing to the proving switch..if it is restricted then not enough air flow through the tubing to pull in the switch so, remove tubing from housing and clean the orifice in the housing ..use paper clip or similar tool to clean out. Also suck and blow gently on the hose..you should hear the switch click on and off..if not then the switch could be defective. Also remove tubing from pressure switch and clean ..reconnect tubing and try running furnace. Let us know how that works out. If that doesn't work ID fan may have debris/dirt in it..you may have to dismantle to clean it out and also check for broken blades etc. Before you do that check venting to see if any blockages..birds nest, kids ball?
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

RUDD furnace problems

Thanks for your reply Techpappy!
The ID fan does run and I took the rubber tubing off before I got your answer BUT it was clean.
I'm not sure I hear the switch turn on. The fan runs so I assume the switch turns on for it to do so.
I also just checked for venting issues and there are none.

I am at a total lose.

Anymore ideas?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #4

RUDD furnace problems

When you say everything but the igniter works, does the gas valve turn on? Usually you can hear it & smell the gas. If it does I would think it's the ignition module. If not it could be the module or the pressure switch as the above poster suggested.

If you have a meter check voltage across the pressure switch after the inducer fan comes on. If it reads 24v with the inducer running you either have a bad pressure switch or something is restricting airflow through your flue. If you read 0v unplug the hose from the pressure switch & check voltage across the pressure switch again. If it still reads 0v the pressure switch is stuck closed & needs to be replaced.
JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #5

RUDD furnace problems

Thanks for your help JScotty!

I don't hear the gas gas valve turn or or smell gas.
I was under the assumption that the gas will not respond until the igniter is hot enough to trigger it. Am I wrong?

Also, if that is what it is, where is it and how do I check it out to try and fix it?

Again, Thanks to the quick responses!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

RUDD furnace problems

Could be a blocked flue.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

RUDD furnace problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by magurk View Post
Thanks for your help JScotty!

I don't hear the gas gas valve turn or or smell gas.
I was under the assumption that the gas will not respond until the igniter is hot enough to trigger it. Am I wrong?

Also, if that is what it is, where is it and how do I check it out to try and fix it?

Again, Thanks to the quick responses!
It isn't supposed to but if your igniter goes out or the ignition module (the box that controls the igniter & the gas valve) isn't working it can happen. The only way to legitimately check is with a meter, you have to verify that the pressure switch is both closing when the fan comes on & opening when the fan turns off. Assuming you have a meter, check the pressure switch as I described in my first post. If you don't have one it may be cheaper to pay someone else to fix it vs buying a meter.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #8

RUDD furnace problems

Okay.... so up till now, the furnace was turning on BUT, my husband came home and got his meter and tried to check the pressure switch. He must have blown something cause as soon as he put the prongs on the little box, it shut off and will not restart. I think he did it wrong cause he put the black on one plug and the red on the other....and voila.... no more furnace turning on.

PLEASE HELP!!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #9

RUDD furnace problems

Quote:
Okay.... so up till now, the furnace was turning on BUT, my husband came home and got his meter and tried to check the pressure switch. He must have blown something cause as soon as he put the prongs on the little box, it shut off and will not restart. I think he did it wrong cause he put the black on one plug and the red on the other....and voila.... no more furnace turning on.

PLEASE HELP!!
No that's right, red lead on one side of the switch, black on the other. Not sure what could of happened there.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #10

RUDD furnace problems

Well until he put the leads on, everything ran fine....well I mean, we still had air conditioning but not heat. The original problem was the heating element wouldn't turn on even after replacing it.... now we have a completely non working furnace! Any suggestions?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #11

RUDD furnace problems

Quote:
Well until he put the leads on, everything ran fine....well I mean, we still had air conditioning but not heat. The original problem was the heating element wouldn't turn on even after replacing it.... now we have a completely non working furnace! Any suggestions?
Use the meter to verify 24v from W to C, if no power from W to C check from R to C if no power there he probably blew the transformer.

If you have voltage from W to C check across the pressure switch again if it reads 0v and the fan isn't running the pressure switch is bad. If it reads 24V then check the 120v input to the inducer motor. If no 120v to the inducer the board/ignition module is bad.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #12

RUDD furnace problems

Forgot to add one thing if you have 120v to the inducer & it isn't running the inducer is bad.

Good luck. Post what you find & I'll check back in later tonight to see if I can help any further.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #13

RUDD furnace problems

JScotty, Please inform me of what the W to C and the R to C are? Sorry if I sound stupid but I am trying my best to diagnose this without the cost of a technician.
If by chance this is the transformer that blew, where is that and could I replace it on my own as well?
THANKS SO much for all your help!!! Is there someway to send pictures on this site?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #14

RUDD furnace problems

Quote:
JScotty, Please inform me of what the W to C and the R to C are? Sorry if I sound stupid but I am trying my best to diagnose this without the cost of a technician.
If by chance this is the transformer that blew, where is that and could I replace it on my own as well?
THANKS SO much for all your help!!! Is there someway to send pictures on this site?
]
W C & R are terminals where your low voltage wiring from your thermostat hooks in to your furnace. Depending on what furnace you have there may not be labeled terminals it may just be wires that are wire nutted together. Although honestly if you don't know what I'm talking about when I say check voltage from R to C then this may be a bit more than you can handle. You may have to bite the bullet & pay someone to come out.

And you can post pictures, but you have to have them hosted on a site like photobucket, then just insert the url into the photo tool when you post.