Rubber Condenser Feet? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Rubber condenser feet?

Would rubber mounting the condenser be good, bad, or make no difference if the condenser foundation does not touch the building?

If it would make the condenser even slightly quieter I think it might be worth doing, but if it would just allow the condenser to shake more and increase vibrations in the line set without improving the health or sound of the condenser...

These are the pads I'm talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Protech-Iso-Cu.../dp/B008HJ4WAK

Advertisement

Last edited by taxmantoo; 07-14-2013 at 01:20 PM.
taxmantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

Rubber condenser feet?

it is always better to use them. the lineset is copper so vibration is not a problem BUT the most important thing is for it to not touch the house where it enters the hole and to not seal that hole with anything solid. silicon is flexible and the best. very few installers put those pads on as they cost $$. the high end units come with them. I would order them yourself and have them put on or ask them to order them which may cost more so I would DIM doitmyself.

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #3

Rubber condenser feet?

Thanks, Yuri. My compressor doesn't come with a sound blanket. I ordered the Rheem blanket and 8 pads linked above, so each leg can be trapped between two of the rubber pads. I suppose if there are extra pads I can put my washing machine on them.

I'm responsible for providing a hot disconnect, the installer doesn't do electrical work.
When he gets here, there will be a piece of 2" PVC conduit through the wall with the liquidtite whip to the disconnect running through it. Should I just hand him a caulking gun and tube of 100% silicone after the line set is run through the conduit and pressure tested?

Last edited by taxmantoo; 07-14-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 864

Rubber condenser feet?

YEP or tell him you will DIY. silicone is a pain to get done neatly so he won't mind. use the best most expensive stuff you can find as it lasts a LOT longer. push some fibreglass pink in 1st so U use less silicone and 4 some backing.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Rubber condenser feet?

We did rubber pads under our furnace, so that it was not sitting directly on the concrete floor. As for the condensor, it is up to you.

If you are in an area, that tey tend to go walking off, I would look at sinking some anchors, that you can bolt the unit down, to not have someone grab and run.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #6

Rubber condenser feet?

Greg, my furnace is 15" shorter than the old one, so I laid down 16x8x4" concrete block piled 3 high and my installer made up the difference with a flex boot. Now the block has to go to make room for a 17" high cased coil, and the plenum will need cutting too. The annoying part is the return will need to be lengthened after he cut 11" off it when the furnace was installed.

This is what I bought to put the furnace on, as I still don't want it on the concrete floor. It's almost the same color as the furnace, and looks much better than an 11" high pile of concrete cap blocks.

Since the unit is a heat pump, it needs to be elevated for defrost drainage and snow clearance. I'm setting four 4x4s to bolt it to. I'll put landscape fabric and stone between the posts for weed control.

Advertisement

Last edited by taxmantoo; 07-14-2013 at 03:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to taxmantoo For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-14-2013)