DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rtu

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Tek1 
#1 ·
I am not getting 100 degrees across all four vents when unit come on. Its a york rtu...im getting 100, 80, 60, 40 degrees on a good day. Sometimes 40...36degrees

#6 ·
Is the duct work in conditioned, or unconditioned space. How far a way is the last register from the first register. is it a 2 stage unit, and only operating in first stage.

#9 ·
Out your meter's probes on W2 and common at the unit. 24 volts and it shold be in second stage. Make sure the second stage burner is really burning. No 24 volts and its in first stage.

#11 ·
Sounds like a return air or lack of supply problem. First stage may also have its pressure turned down. Correct air flow problems, then gas pressure can be adjusted to where it should be.

#16 ·
Oh Yeah, just like "interviewing" a customer. well my furnace was doing this ya da ya da yah. I get kinda blunt and ask some pretty direct questions but you have to as half of what they tell you is wrong or missing pertinent info. Same with these posters and my apprentices.

#18 · (Edited)
If the flames are rolling out then it may be partly plugged with rust or soot from poor combustion as they are open to the atmosphere. I have heard of some where the inducer fan was failing/not producing enough draft and rusted away. Some have a metal orifice plate behind them. You may have to remove the inducer and check it to see if it is rusted out or the wheel damaged or orifice rusted away. Only other reason is a cracked heat ex or overfired. Usually with a cracked heat ex it is pretty obvious when you watch the flame and the fan comes on that the flames starting jumping/flame disturbance.

#22 ·
I seem to remember working on an AAon unit a number of years back that had 2 stages of gas heat, and the duct work was split coming off the unit. It was on the top of a 12 story apartment providing fresh air to hallways. The top 3 or 4 floors had a pretty warm discharge when the 1st stage of heat kicked in, but the bottom floors were cold. Bring on the second stage and everything warmed up.
Long story short, the 1st stage and 2nd stage were staggered in the unit and the way the duct work came off the unit, we would get temperature variations similar to what you're seeing.

#23 ·
I seem to remember working on an AAon unit a number of years back that had 2 stages of gas heat, and the duct work was split coming off the unit. It was on the top of a 12 story apartment providing fresh air to hallways. The top 3 or 4 floors had a pretty warm discharge when the 1st stage of heat kicked in, but the bottom floors were cold. Bring on the second stage and everything warmed up.
Long story short, the 1st stage and 2nd stage were staggered in the unit and the way the duct work came off the unit, we would get temperature variations similar to what you're seeing.
I thought the same. I increased the pressure for the second gas valve, no major change

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.