Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
JPM
Bill Traver

Share |

Room Temperature Monitoring

I own some apartments and need some suggestions on how to determine/monitor temperature in rooms so that I set the heating systems properly (without paying too much in utilities). The code in our area is 68 degrees and I will likely want a bit higher than that but need a reliable method to show inspectors and tenants what the room temperature is.

I do not know of anything other than using a portable digital thermometer you can get at any home improvement store. Is there something better than this?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Depends on the type of heating system, forced air, hot water.
Get a basic Honeywell programmable thermostat:http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...69-1920EFS.pdf

This one you can program the max temp it will go to ie:70degF (setup function 27) and not tell the tenant you did it. I would also install clear locking thermostat cover boxes over them.

You can buy more expensive touch screen types where you can lockout the menu but that is overkill.

Last edited by yuri; 11-12-2009 at 02:36 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
JPM
Bill Traver

I think I need to clarify a bit better.

I am not looking for a thermostat to permanently mount somewhere....I am looking for a solution to be able to check temperatures in the middle of rooms....something portable rather than plug in. I have seen several of the "garden" variety of temperature readers but thought that there might be something more accurate out in the market. I have seen different types of technology but not sure the application ... for instance infrared, which I believe only measure the temp on a surface rather than the ambient air.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #4

A simple digital meat thermometer probe that you can pick up in walmart, kmart, etc. does the trick for me. It measures in tenths deg. and you see the variation in temp when walking from room to room. It also comes with a sleave that you can hook on your shirt pocket much the same as a ball point pen.
jeepgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
JPM
Bill Traver

Thumbs up

Thank you for your suggestion ... I did exactly as you indicated and picked one up in Walmart....worked to perfection.