Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #1

Share |

Rookie Needs Help - No AC Blowing Thru Vents?

Turned on my AC for the first time this season yesterday and all was well. Cooled the house and felt airflow from all the vents. Today was cooler, so I turned it off, only to have the house heat up on me anyway. Long story short, turned it back on again.

Now here's the rub - None of my house's vents (upstairs or downstairs) are blowing ANY air anymore (tried both the "fan" and "auto" settings of the gauge).

Over the winter, I had to replace the inducer blower motor and assembly in the indoor unit -- I'm a rookie so I'm not sure if that affects air conditioning or just heat. Could something be wrong there again?

I feel a strong cool draft when I place my hand near the filter area on the indoor unit, as well as along the edge of the left insulated duct heading up into the house (or is that the exhaust, it's the duct to the left of the indoor unit, not directly above it).

When I turn the heat on, I feel very hot air blowing there.

The fan in the outdoor unit is spinning strongly and all seems well out there. I figure if that was broke, I'd still be getting air inside, just HOT air.

So the question is - Why am I suddenly not getting any air through my indoor ventilation?

Help???

UPDATE: I just turned on the heat to see - I didn't feel any heat blowing either. So no heat, no ac at the vents, but I feel a huge rush of air along the lines of the duct going up into the house. I can post a photo if it would be helpful. What's the likely cause?

B.

Last edited by BDPNA; 05-11-2007 at 04:21 PM.
BDPNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi BDPNA

Could be one of two causes. First it could just be the evaporator froze up and won't allow air to pass through the evaporator coil. Second you could have a bad blower motor, belt, relay or plugged air filter. All of the second are easy fixes if that be the problem. However the first one is going to need proffesional attention. Let us know what you find, and if need be one of us can walk you through the repair.

Good luck
Rusty

Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #3

Hey Carrierman,

Think you helped me the last time, too -- Thanks again, great to see you. I thought I was out of the woods last night because the air started blowing again. However, I woke up this morning to no airflow once again so it looks like something is failing somewhere.

Since I have no idea where to look for the parts you suggest might be failing, I've taken a photo in the hopes you might be able to help. I've also marked the area where I feel a cool airflow seeping out along the duct (it feels hot when I turn the heat on).

Does the fact that there is no airflow from the vents whether it is heat or AC help narrow the problem at all?

Much thanks as always -- I'm new at this but happy to learn so please be as basic as possible.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #CARRIERMAN View Post
Hi BDPNA

Could be one of two causes. First it could just be the evaporator froze up and won't allow air to pass through the evaporator coil. Second you could have a bad blower motor, belt, relay or plugged air filter. All of the second are easy fixes if that be the problem. However the first one is going to need proffesional attention. Let us know what you find, and if need be one of us can walk you through the repair.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 05-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Diesel Fitter

Sounds like the coil is freezing and thawing most likely your freon charge is low.
mikemy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #5

Just a bit more info --

I turned both heat and AC off and just left the fan setting on my thermostat set to ON. I'm not sure when but at some point the fan started blowing again.

I'm not sure this is a problem directly relating to the AC (freon) as it doesn't seem to blow when I am using the heat, either.

Though I could be wrong. I think the blower is the first area to check. Is this the same part as the brand new inducer blower motor I just installed last winter though (black in the photo)? As the part is brand new, I tend to think that wouldn't be the culprit.

Is there anything I can test/check on my own to rule it out?

Thanks all!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Diesel Fitter

If you have airflow now try using the AC and see if the air slowly stops as it freezes up. The black fan is for exhaust gasses the blower fan is inside the unit.one other thing if its brand new you have a leak that will have to be dealt with.

Last edited by mikemy6; 05-12-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #7

Ok, I see your theory now. I'm going to do some experimentation today. I have a Fan AUTO/ON switch on my thermostat. I turned it to ON with no AC/HEAT on, and plan to let it run a few hours to see if the vents ever stop blowing. If not, I'll then switch on the AC and leave the fan on.

So your theory is that the longer I have the AC on, eventually the fan will stop blowing. If that's so, can you tell me what part in the photo might be failing or if this is a bigger issue I will need to let a pro handle?

Much thanks!

B.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Diesel Fitter

The coil sits in a box above the heater or in a seperate air handler in your attic. If you've tested and the vent air stopped and the back flow of air is cmig out around the filter again, have a pro out to test for freon leaks and fill the system. Alot of times its a valve leak and the valve core can be replaced a leak in the line is harder to find and they'll have to charge for more hours and that sucks.Lemmeknow whatup.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
Diesel Fitter

its not that anything is failing its the ice on the coil is stopping the air from getting into the ductwork and is blowing back
Old 05-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #10

Ok, thanks Mike. I did run the fan a few hours today without turning on the AC or the heat, and it ran without a hitch.

Then, I left the fan on the always-on mode, and turned on the AC. Cool air started to blow from the vents, but in a few hours the vents had stopped blowing air. So does that sound to you like a freon leak that is stopping up my ducts? I assume what's happening is that it's then melting once I turn off the AC, allowing air to pass thru again?

If that's the case, just so I'm not shocked, how expensive of a repair am I likely looking at here? Valve leak vs. line leak?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #11
Diesel Fitter

I cant give an answer on that because I haven't done residential service in a long time, wish I could be more help.
Sorry, but at least you may avoid the big hit!
Maybe the C man could help.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #12

Any ideas, Cman? So it looks like the blower runs fine long term without AC or heat pumping through, also looks like the blower runs with heat -- Just seems to stop blowing (eventually) when I have the AC on.

I also noticed the AC seemed to be taking a much longer time to cool the house down than usual, and the blower stopped functioning before the house even reached the temp I set (I could still feel a rush of cold air blowing along the edge in the photo as I pointed out, just not through the vents in the house).

What's the next step???? Call in the experts? I hate to do it but if it's over my head that's what I gotta do.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:55 PM   #13

FILTER CLEAN? if answer is yes then you have a leak and are low on freon..........call a tech.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #14

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I completely removed the air filter from the indoor unit just to ensure that wasn't stopping the airflow, didn't change anything.

Sounds like I do have a freon leak then -- Hopefully they can track it down fairly simply. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
FILTER CLEAN? if answer is yes then you have a leak and are low on freon..........call a tech.