Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Rollout tripping on Ducane CMPA075U3

The rollout trips intermitingly. It has tripped out 2 times in 3 weeks. I put a new rollout switch on at the end of last heating season and thought it was fixed. No sign of flame rolling out. When I watch it everything seems to work fine and it does not trip. I have also checked flue and it seems to be fine and unobstructed. Cleaned A-coil also. I think it is tripping from high temp. verses rolling out. Can someone please point me in the right direction on what else it could be.

tcmontess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4

A cracked heat exchanger doesn't always cause the flame to roll out. And sometimes you won't see a change in the flame. But its still cracked, and will cause the roll out to trip.

Need to visually inspect the heat exchanger.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #3

I inspected the heat exchanger for the 2nd time today just in case I missed something the first time. I slid the A-coil out and looked down at the exchanger and could find no cracks. The burners seem to be burning ok, I inspected them and blew air thru them in case of dirt. I let the furnace run for at least 20 mins to heat up. I borrowed a carbon monoxide detecter and checked each vent for carbon monoxide. It read 0 at each vent. I checked all of the small hoses going to the pressure switches and everything seemed fine no clogs. The combustion motor seems to be pushing out enough air outside. Being that this is an intermitent problem I have never been working on it when it trips. I am not sure what else to look at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
tcmontess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4

Carbon monoxide generally isn't released into the home while the blower is running. Since it makes for a positive pressure surrounding the heat exchanger.

Is this a serpentine heat exchanger. Or does is it a crimp ring heat exchanger.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

sounds like a venting issue, but would have the heat exchanger looked at by professional with a camera, you are not used to looking at heat exchangers, a pro know what and where to look for trouble. I use a camera for my h/e inspections, and a well qualified tech would do the same
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2

The gas valve may be overfirng. Need to check the manifold pressure with a manometer. May also have the infamous "idiotvalve" which can overfire occasionally.