Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |

Rhem Heat Pump low voltage fuse keeps blowing

So it gets cold in the house and I realize I have not heat. I found that the transformer in the air handler is blown along with the 3amp fuse. I replaced the transformer but the 3 amp fuse blows every time I change the thermostat to heat.
If I set it to blower only it works fine.
If I set it to heat nothing happens.
If i set it to Em Heat everything works fine but when I switch it to regular heat. The fuse blows every time.
I eliminated the wiring from the Theromstat. I have an extra thermostat so I took it under the house with the air handler and wired it up. The fuse still blows.
I then eliminate the low voltage wiring from the air handler to the heat pump outside by installing new wiring.

I am not sure what to check next? It is COLD in here. I have called a technician but have not even received a call back yet.

Any ideas?

z4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4racer View Post
So it gets cold in the house and I realize I have not heat. I found that the transformer in the air handler is blown along with the 3amp fuse. I replaced the transformer but the 3 amp fuse blows every time I change the thermostat to heat.
If I set it to blower only it works fine.
If I set it to heat nothing happens.
If i set it to Em Heat everything works fine but when I switch it to regular heat. The fuse blows every time.
I eliminated the wiring from the Theromstat. I have an extra thermostat so I took it under the house with the air handler and wired it up. The fuse still blows.
I then eliminate the low voltage wiring from the air handler to the heat pump outside by installing new wiring.

I am not sure what to check next? It is COLD in here. I have called a technician but have not even received a call back yet.

Any ideas?
Post the schematic that is pasted on the inside of a furnace panel. At 24 vac and 3 amps you're looking for some resistance less than 8 ohms. If the fuse element is splattered it's more toward the low end of this range.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

Look for a shorted wire in the heat pump. Any touching copper should be suspect. Mice like to get in and chew on the low voltage wires too.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

I had the same problem with mine.. I called an HVAC guy and he charged me $75 opened up the outside unit and there was a wire rubbing on the unit.. He tapped it up and left.. A few months later it happened again.. This time i was ready, again a wire bare rubbing on the outside unit.
mchipser is offline   Reply With Quote