Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |

Rheem Value or Classic Quailty Differance?

I received a quote for a Rheem Value gas furnace. I surfed the Rheem web site and see that there is the value line and 3 Classic Models and a Prestige line. My plan is to purchase within the 80% Efficiency range. Is there a quality difference between the models or is it only feature driven. Does anyone have a personnel preference?

Thanks in Advance.
johnmarzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Part of the Clover Leaf

i go for the most features...but that is just me. As a person in the market you should look at the features of each one and choose a furnace based on your needs.

Rheem is a quality unit, but then most are theses day. So what it really comes down to is making sure you have a good contractor doing the work.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
REP

There is absolutely no advantage to going with an 80% unit.
A single stage 90% furnace that is properly sized is a much better deal.
But no matter which you get,sizing is THE most important thing you can do.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Part of the Clover Leaf

Rep I don'[ think the Op wants a 90%.

Said he was staying in 80% range.
hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
Rep I don'[ think the Op wants a 90%.

Said he was staying in 80% range.
Hello Guys or maybe Gals.

Assuming I go with the correct size, my question was geared more towards "is there a quality difference" between the Rheem models. Like most folks I am trying to save money. So far based on price, I don't think I will see enough return on the investment for a 90. I could be convinced other wise but I am trying to decide on model first.

Thanks in Advance for the advice.

-John
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
There is absolutely no advantage to going with an 80% unit.
A single stage 90% furnace that is properly sized is a much better deal.
But no matter which you get,sizing is THE most important thing you can do.
Hello Rep, thanks for the reply. I want to make sure I understand your reply. If an 80% unit is properly sized would it not be the same "size" for a 90%? I thought the 80/90 thing was about energy savings. And that the price difference would be earned back over x number of years. Are you saying I could go with a smaller sized 90% model, so the gap between an 80 and 90 would be smaller then I am thinking about getting?

I like my contractor but he did not really go over options/features. He presented the Rheem Value and he probably made that decision based on what he hears everyday from folks who have to replace an appliance they did not expect to replace. I would rather pay more for quality then for features I may or may not benefit from. Is there one easier to service from your perspective?

Based on the replies, if quality is the same, I just need to call up my contractor and explain the feature difference and see if there are important to me.

My home actually has 2 central air units, for sleeping and living areas. I might also change the working gas furnace at the same time.
Thanks for your post.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Value series is a basic 1 stage with conventional motor and has a 20 yr heat exchanger warranty vs a lifetime in the more expensive classic line etc. Have not had problems with their heat ex so the warranty is no big deal. Their cheapest line is the Weatherking and that is lighter and noisier and builders grade. If sound is a huge issue for you and you are a light sleeper the higher end units are quieter and there are more expensive brands with quieter units like Lennox, Carrier, Trane York. Just like cars the more you pay the quieter they get and have more features.

http://www.rheem.com/products/heatin.../gas_furnaces/

Last edited by yuri; 02-22-2012 at 05:00 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #8

Thanks Yuri - The unit I am replacing is going in the garage and handles the living side of the house. But thanks for the advice on the quieter aspect of the higher end units. That furnace happens to be in a closet area next to my bedroom!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Yep, you don't want to be married to a noisy unit for 20 yrs. Has to do with the thickness of the metal cabinet, amount of insulation in it, how well the fan wheel is balanced etc etc. Rheem is a good basic unit and quite reliable, not a bad deal for the $$.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
REP

I am sorry for the confusion.There is only one size for your house be that 80% or 90%.
As far as service goes they are both stright forward .Its just that if you can show a 10 % saving each month then the 90 is the better bet and it is easily as dependable as the 80%.
Like I said earlier sizing is THE most important thing to be concerned with and the only way to be sure is to have a manual "J" and a manual "D" performed.It is the ONLY way to be sure.Anything elae is just a wild guess.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac