Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #1

Share |

Rheem RGDG-075AUER gas furnace lights intermittently

Hi all,

I have a problem with my furnace I am hoping someone can help me solve.
Here is what happens. When I turn up the temperature on the furnace the draft motor begins turning, I hear no clicking sounds. The draft motor just runs until I turn it off.

So I turned off the furnace at the thermostat, removed the bottom safety panel, put tape over the safety switch, then turned the furnace back to auto at the thermostat. I then went back and pressed on the control board cover and the burners lit off. I then removed the cover on the control board and pulled and pushed on the large white square plug at the bottom of the board and I could control the burners going off and coming back on. I disconnected the plug but did not see anything out of the ordinary, no pushed/burnt pins, etc...

Has anyone ever had this type of problem. Thanks in advance for the help.

Don

ge01734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge01734 View Post
Hi all,

I have a problem with my furnace I am hoping someone can help me solve.
Here is what happens. When I turn up the temperature on the furnace the draft motor begins turning, I hear no clicking sounds. The draft motor just runs until I turn it off.

So I turned off the furnace at the thermostat, removed the bottom safety panel, put tape over the safety switch, then turned the furnace back to auto at the thermostat. I then went back and pressed on the control board cover and the burners lit off. I then removed the cover on the control board and pulled and pushed on the large white square plug at the bottom of the board and I could control the burners going off and coming back on. I disconnected the plug but did not see anything out of the ordinary, no pushed/burnt pins, etc...

Has anyone ever had this type of problem. Thanks in advance for the help.

Don
double check all the pins on plug and look at pins on board check for any other loose wires....seem like you have a bad board...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
double check all the pins on plug and look at pins on board check for any other loose wires....seem like you have a bad board...
Thanks for the quick response.

I have checked those things that you mentioned and all looks good. No pins are loose, burnt, or pushed. I want to really isolate to the board so I was thinking that I would read the power going out to the gas valve the next time the draft motor comes on but the burners don't light off. I am looking at the booklet of schematics and it shows one for North America (mine) and one for Canada. I have only seen one 9 pin connector on the board, but it looks like the schematic shows two nine pin connectors. P1 plugs into p2 and
pin 8 (blue wire) coming off of that plug goes to the gas valve, the other pin 3 (purple) goes to through a "Heat Assisted Limit Control Downflow switch up through the Negative pressure switch and back to jumper to the blue wire on the gas valve, but I am not sure which pin I should be checking for power out to the gas valve.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by ge01734; 12-31-2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

It would appear that the pressure switch is not closing. While on call for heat (while the draft inducer motor is spinning), pull the hose off of the inducer and suck on it. Keep a steady suction on that tube which should still be connected to the pressure switch.

Let us know.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

may have bad plug on board
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

But If I can control the burners by pressing and pulling out on the plug on the control board, would that not tell me that something is going on with the board and not with the pressure switch?

Do you know if that plug is replaceable?

Thanks