Rheem Plus 90 Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2009, 05:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Rheem Plus 90 Furnace

Just got a new Rheem Plus 90 - 3 Stage Gas Furnace installed.

The outdoor exhaust pipe noise is high. One can hear it a few houses down the road.

As a homeowner of this new heating system, what should I begin to observe on its operation? How would I know if the system is working in 3 stages?

Advertisement

Klin2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,588

Rheem Plus 90 Furnace

Check the install manual to see if its installed correctly.

I have no idea, why anyone would buy a Mod furnace, and then cripple it by down grading it to a 3 stage furnace(if its connected and wired properly to a 2 stage stat), its only 2 stages if wired to a single stage stat.
Its a waste of money.

Should just have gotten the 2 stage which is higher efficiency, if you don't want to spend the money on the Mod control.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

Rheem Plus 90 Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klin2009 View Post
Just got a new Rheem Plus 90 - 3 Stage Gas Furnace installed.

The outdoor exhaust pipe noise is high. One can hear it a few houses down the road.

As a homeowner of this new heating system, what should I begin to observe on its operation? How would I know if the system is working in 3 stages?
If your ear can't tell you, then you may very well be operating in one stage only.

What is the model #, square footage of your house, and location?

Amen, Been.

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Rheem Plus 90 Furnace

took some training on this new piece of equipment in the fall.trane rep basically said this unit will run constantly from oct. to april,using all 3 stages to maintain temp.my personnel opinion is this is overkill and i wasn;t to impressed.that said enjoy!!
hf05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Rheem Plus 90 Furnace

[quote=beenthere;240410]Check the install manual to see if its installed correctly.

I have no idea, why anyone would buy a Mod furnace, and then cripple it by down grading it to a 3 stage furnace(if its connected and wired properly to a 2 stage stat), its only 2 stages if wired to a single stage stat.
Its a waste of money.

Should just have gotten the 2 stage which is higher efficiency, if you don't want to spend the money on the Mod control.[/quote

Please..As an installer I will go back and talk to my customers and see how they like the furnace. And ALOT have a lower bill.
Appearently you are not well educated in how this furnaces work.
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,588

Rheem Plus 90 Furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Check the install manual to see if its installed correctly.

Its a waste of money.

Should just have gotten the 2 stage which is higher efficiency, if you don't want to spend the money on the Mod control.

Please..As an installer I will go back and talk to my customers and see how they like the furnace. And ALOT have a lower bill.
Appearently you are not well educated in how this furnaces work.
Show where in the install manual, or any where in Rheems lit, that they say their 90% Mod, will use less gas then their 95% 2 stage.

As an installer.
Check your records. See what size and efficiency furnace you removed before you installed the Rheem MOD.

Comparing a 90% mod to an old barely 70% AFUE(if even that), doesn't tell you squat. An 80% single stage will save money in those swap outs.

Pull a 94% single stage, or a 95% 2 stage and see how it compares in energy savings.

What was the TESTED efficiency of the 90% AFUE Mods you put in.
And what firing rates did you test it in???

Or don't you test what you install???

While the Rheem Mod is the best controlled Mod furnace on the market, It is FAR from the most efficient furnace on the market.

And it doesn't become more efficient at lower firing rates.

If it did, the the York MOD 98% AFUE(with a lot more steps of modulation, 65, compared to Rheems 13), would become more then 100% efficient when it was in its lower firing rates.

A properly sized Rheem 95% 2 stage, will use less gas, then a properly sized Rheem Mod, in the same application.

So if not using the Mod controller, might as well get the higher efficiency 2 stage.

Advertisement

Last edited by beenthere; 03-05-2009 at 10:54 AM.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
experiencing rheem