Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #1

Share |

Rheem HVAC gone wild.

I arrived home last night to find my house much warmer than usual. Checking the temporary, I found it at 80 when heat is supposed to cut off at 69. I cut the circuit breaker, waited, turned it back on after a few minutes, fan immediately restarted. Cut the breaker, disconnected thermostat, waited, turned the breaker back on, fan immediately restarted. Opened the unit, found a 3-amp fuse blown on a red wire, cut power, replaced fuse, restored power, fan immediately restarted. At this point I'm running low on brilliant ideas, so any advice would be appreciated.

Valatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Rheem HVAC gone wild.

Are the burners running also when you take temp stat out of low voltage circuit or just blower?
If just the blower is running furnace may just be cooling itself off to satisfy limit switch,if burners are still coming on you have a bigger problem

plummen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rheem HVAC gone wild.

If the burner not coming on like plummen saying if they are. I bet you had a mouse inside the wall and eat up the wires. If red and white wire is touching each other bare. It will make unit run.
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rheem HVAC gone wild.

Or can be bad t-stat. I had seen white rogers and hunter stats do this before. The relay on stat are welded shut on heating. I say remove stat first before looking for a short wire
Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #5

Rheem HVAC gone wild.

The heat doesn't seem to be coming back on, or if it is it's been taking longer to warm up than I'd expect; the air coming out is relatively cool. The blower is definitely going full-tilt, beyond that I'm not completely certain. I'll flip the breakers back on when I get home and let it run for a while to see if it's actually trying to heat or not. I replaced the thermostat (I'd been meaning to replace it with a programmable model anyways) and received the same reaction, blower fired up as soon as I flipped the breaker and studiously ignored any setting I entered in the thermostat. The 3A fuse is holding thus far, but the heat pump hasn't been operating for long yet, so I can't say for sure that whatever melted it in the first place isn't going to take another whack at it.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rheem HVAC gone wild.

So you have heat pump with back up electric heat?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #7

Rheem HVAC gone wild.

Yes, it's a forced-air pump, using a RHSA-HM3017JA air handler and a 13 seer compressor, I think 2.5 tons. I don't recall the heater's specifics.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rheem HVAC gone wild.

You made had contractor inside the air handle welded it self shut and keep electric heat on. I feel you need a service tech to replace do to high voltage to change.