Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Rheem heat pump making WEIRD noises

Hey Guys,

I have a couple of Rheem dual stage heat pumps, and the lemon of the two is acting up again. This time it's making some awful noises. I had my son shoot a quick video of both the outside and inside units so you have an idea of the sounds it's making. When making the noises, it was set to heat, and it was running, but the heat strips at the time were off. If I pull the disconnect on the outside unit, and run the tstat in emerg mode, I get heat inside, and no noise.

I'm sure a pro will recognize the cause of this right off the bat. Please let me know what you think.

Indoor Unit:

Outdoor Unit:

Thanks!

Patriot_RAM

Patriot_RAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Possibly the clutch plates slipping in the compressor. It almost sounds like a fan blade rubbing but I have absolutely no explanation why its inside and out. Never seen that one before.

Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

Sounds like the compressors internal relief valve opening and losing.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

What would cause the relief valve to open and close? Is it something I can look further into, or do you guys feel it's best to call a pro?

Thanks,
Old 11-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,788

Dirty condenser coil. or condenser fan spinning backwards. causing high head pressure.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

If it was doing that in heat mode then the first thing I would check for is a dirty filter. Second would be to check the indoor coil to see if it is dirty. Third would be to make sure all registers are open. After that if you don't find anything then I would call a professional.

Last edited by hvactech126; 11-26-2013 at 05:49 PM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

I this problem back in November, but I wasn't able to work on it much due to having had surgery the same week. I had my wife pull the disconnect so we could just run the heat strips as they needed to. I fired it back up a week ago, and the noise started up after about six minutes. It started faint and occurred with less frequency. After two or three minutes, it progressively got louder, and more frequent.

I disconnected it, and scheduled an appointment.

So, the tech comes out today and can't reproduce the problem. In November, it was in the teens. Last Friday, when I tried it, it was about 28. Today, it's around 60 degrees. They let it run for an hour and never heard the sound.

So, based on the temperature part of the scenarios, it sounds like high head pressure likely isn't the cause. They sent the videos to Rheem and they are suggesting changing the fan. I think they also mentioned it being a $500 fan and out of warranty.

When it made the noise, there was nothing abnormal to be felt from the fan motor whatsoever, even during the loud clunks. It sounds like the noise is coming from the area near where the insulated copper line from inside the house goes into the condenser outside. I can feel vibration there when it happens as well - not at the fan. Similarly, you can hear the sound resonate into the upstairs unit through the copper line. That also doesn't point to the fan.

The tech has left and has no idea at this point what the issue could be. He agrees that it is not the fan. I'm going to try to catch it on a cold morning a couple days from now and try to get him out while it's happening, but you guys know how that goes.

Based on this new information, do you guys have some new suggestions?

Thanks a bunch for the replies to this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
If it was doing that in heat mode then the first thing I would check for is a dirty filter. Second would be to check the indoor coil to see if it is dirty. Third would be to make sure all registers are open. After that if you don't find anything then I would call a professional.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Doesn't sound like the fan (or why would you hear it inside). I wouldn't replace the fan yet when the evidence points elsewhere.

sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote