Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |

Rheem Furnace issue

I have a Rheem furnace in my home. It's about 11 years old. Last year I replaced the ignitor. Today, I walked under the vent and noticed it was blowing cold air. I tried to reset the system but the blower comes on right away , does not shut off and the burners will not light. The ignitor does not glow. Can anyone give me an idea before I call in a repair man what might be wrong here??? Thanks!

Jeff

JeffHogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 PM   #2

Rheem Furnace issue

You may have a limit switch stuck open. This is usually caused by a dirty filter or dirty evaporator/ac coil.

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:28 AM   #3

Rheem Furnace issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIP4661 View Post
You may have a limit switch stuck open. This is usually caused by a dirty filter or dirty evaporator/ac coil.
Can someone tell me what the procedure for checking these items is? I am HVAC lacking LOL
Old 12-28-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rheem Furnace issue

When it first tries to start does the inducer motor (purge fan) go on? If yes check to see if the ignitor glows red after a minute or two. If not, it is most likely your pressure switch. That is the one that has two hoses going to it. To test it, unplug the wiring harness (two wires) then jump the connections with a wire. If your unit is computer controlled you will have to wait to jump the connection until you see the light flash twice. Once you jump the connection the light should flash three times. If it flashes three times the ignitor should start to glow and the furnace should light.

You can not leave the wire in with a computer controlled unit. It must first sense an open circuit before going to the next stage. If is possible to free up the sticky switch by sucking and blowing on the hose connections. This would only be a temporary fix until you can get a new switch.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be

Last edited by brokenknee; 12-28-2008 at 04:00 AM.
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #5

Rheem Furnace issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
When it first tries to start does the inducer motor (purge fan) go on? If yes check to see if the ignitor glows red after a minute or two. If not, it is most likely your pressure switch. That is the one that has two hoses going to it. To test it, unplug the wiring harness (two wires) then jump the connections with a wire. If your unit is computer controlled you will have to wait to jump the connection until you see the light flash twice. Once you jump the connection the light should flash three times. If it flashes three times the ignitor should start to glow and the furnace should light.

You can not leave the wire in with a computer controlled unit. It must first sense an open circuit before going to the next stage. If is possible to free up the sticky switch by sucking and blowing on the hose connections. This would only be a temporary fix until you can get a new switch.
First, let me say thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I tried to jump the wires and nothing happened. Still blowing and the ignitor is not glowing. Tried blowing out the hose and still nothing. Anything else to check? Next step is calling the HVAC guy...ughhh
Old 12-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rheem Furnace issue

For all the DIYers. Sucking and blowing on pressure switches. IMO a sure fire way to ruin them. They are safety devices. They are very delicate. Sounds like your limit control is stuck open/ruined from overheating. Get a pro to find out why that is happening and replace it. If it is a counterflow/reverseflow/supply duct under the furnace type of unit check in the fan compartment. There usually is an extra limit switch with a red manual reset button on it attached to the fan (sometimes at the back of it) which you can reset. If it keeps tripping then you have a more serious problem.

Good Luck

Last edited by yuri; 12-28-2008 at 04:03 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rheem Furnace issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
For all the DIYers. Sucking and blowing on pressure switches. IMO a sure fire way to ruin them. They are safety devices. They are very delicate. Sounds like your limit control is stuck open/ruined from overheating. Get a pro to find out why that is happening and replace it. If it is a counterflow/reverseflow/supply duct under the furnace type of unit check in the fan compartment. There usually is an extra limit switch with a red manual reset button on it attached to the fan (sometimes at the back of it) which you can reset. If it keeps tripping then you have a more serious problem.

Good Luck
I did state this is only a Temporary solution and should have said only do this once you have determined this is the problem. This has gotten me by more than once until I could get a new part without paying someone to open the store after hours.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Rheem Furnace issue

Not criticizing you my friend. Scares me to see the cavalier attitude some people have about working with furnaces. As if they were as complicated as a lawnmower. Safety comes first, not saving $$. Just want people to have a "healthy" respect for them.

Cheers
Old 12-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rheem Furnace issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Not criticizing you my friend. Scares me to see the cavalier attitude some people have about working with furnaces. As if they were as complicated as a lawnmower. Safety comes first, not saving $$. Just want people to have a "healthy" respect for them.

Cheers
No offence taken. I agree safety should come first.

I personally have a Rheem furnace in my home and in my opinion they are a POS. Within the first ten years I had it, I had to replace the inducer motor, inducer switch, relay, flame sensor and gas value. This started to happen of course right after the warranty expired. I am not a HVAC technician, but I did go to school years ago for refrigeration. I understand the dangers of bypassing safety equipment and should have told him to also check his flue if that turned out to be the problem.

I am usually the person that gets called by friends and family when they are having problems with their furnace or ac. One of the first things I check is the inducer switch (assuming the inducer motor kicks in). I am aware some techs state that they are rarely the problem, but this has not been the case with the units I have seen.

One good things about forums such as this is if you do give poor advice someone usually jumps in to correct you. This way everyone learns. I for one am less likely to repeat a mistake if corrected by someone else than if I find it on my own.

Have a good day and stay warm. Got down to 12 below last night, It is now 10 above, regular heat wave.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Rheem Furnace issue

If I spot something potentially dangerous in some post, as a Pro with a conscience I feel morally obligated to try stop someone from getting hurt/hurting/harming others. Not only for the poster but the huge audience out there who may not know better. We are all in this together to help others. Pay it forward. Works for me.

Cheers