DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Rheem Furnace Issue

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Doc Holliday 
#1 ·
I have an older Rheem furnace model# rgda-10ec-er.

This unit was in the house when I bought it, so I have no history with it. It has the electric ignition (which is also new to me, used to pilot you have to light).

I suspect a faulty gas valve?

Symptoms:
1. Was running fine on Monday (after is cycled 2 times to start)
2. Turned on wed night and nothing.
3. Have gas (removed valve and checked for gas before valve.
4. Small pilot line is not plugged (removed from valve body and blew through, got air at other end).
5. Heat / "glow" element comes on, and after some time the control module clicks
6. After this click I get 27Vac at one of the 2 wires on the valve body.
7. Then nothing - No gas, no ignition, and everything shuts down.
8. It will repeat this cycle a couple times then shut off.

I don't want to replace the gas valve to later find out the 27Vac should have been 24Vac, and its an electric issue. If the issue is $100 or so I will just fix it, if I get to the $250 range, I start to consider a new furnace.

So my major question is: 27Vac too much to function valve? Everything else I have read says valve should be 24Vac. And yes, I know how to use a meter properly, and it is working correctly.

Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#3 ·
-Gas valve is on both at furnace and meter
-Hot water heater functions with out issue
-Removed gas line at internal furnace valve and opened shut off valve to confirm gas there

The house was empty for 2 years, so I am wondering if something in line plugged the valve? Any way to confirm valve is opening other than gas smell/ sound?

#5 ·
Do you have a drip leg on the gas line just before the gas line enters the furnace? All this would be is a short piece of gas pipe turned upside down, meant to catch any possible debri in the gas line before it makes it to the valve or burners. If not than there stands more of a chance that one of the two is clogged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.