Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rheem Criterion 2: high fan heat only

Hello!

Made a problem bigger -- my fault. Took out my frustrations (compounded by time of day) and now it is likely to cost me!

Initial problem: Aprilaire 600 (I think) humidifier wouldn't turn on the water valve. Bypassed it, water flowed. Figured the valve was faulty, replaced it. Still no flow, appeared to have 24vac. Had the controller manual switch in manual, and the humidity control in override. Tried a couple of other combinations, never had the valve come on, the light was on the humidistat. Figured it might be bad, disconnected the humidistat, connected the water valve directly across the 24vac line ("R" & "C" on the Rheem control board).

Water flowed -- for 1~2 seconds. Ooops. Hmmm, what's that smell? Ahh, AC transformer fuse (2 amp, slow blow) is bad. Not good. Changed fuse, removed wire to humidifier.

System works, but it appears to be running on high fan speed (presumably also high burn rate as well -- not sure how to confirm this, though heat cycle "seems" shorter now, only an observation).

No error codes on the controller board (both the right two LEDs light up solid, then the 'flame' LED is solid as the system sires up).

Unit is 3 to 5 years old (appx) and uses the
62-24320-02 control board. Now obsolete, but available, or a choice of 2 new kits (model dependent, which I have yet to confirm which I have).

So, after the Red Foreman "dumb zzz", any support for my thought that I fried the mother board?

Any thoughts on the repairability of the mother board? My first thought is that perhaps I shorted a relay (stuck closed), but on reflection, it is possible it could be a number of things (logic for the 'on' timer is now 'set' to 'been on too long, let it burn high'. It would be helpful in that case to know the logic process and flow versus the board components. I don't expect that is common knowledge (or released knowledge).

In reviewing some other entries, it seems I can set the fan speed lower. BUT -- I need to confirm I am not running at a high burn, or I will not get what I want??? I am okay with slower heat anyhow, as it would make the system quieter.

Though pre-kitted at install for a/c (and sized for it) it is only used for heat. We asked that the system be sized for a hoped for expansion (~1800 sf now, wanted to be able to add ~4-800 sf). But running at the high speed really makes things whistle.

Last edited by dyincolor; 03-26-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: More data.
dyincolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,762

Good chance you put 48 volts to the board. The humidifier should have its own transformer.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

That would have been nice, too late now (and I should have thought this through before shorting it ).

Going to look and see if the gas valve is getting a 'high fire' signal or not. If not, will play with setting the fan speed. I don't believe that I have ever had high fire come on, so having the fan on a low(er) speed would make it less obtrusive noise wise anyhow.
dyincolor is offline   Reply With Quote