Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Rheem Criterion 2 efficiency

I have a Rheem Criterion 2 furnace in my home, it's the original furnace installed when it was built in 1996. I've been in the home now for 3 months and I've had no problems with it.

During the inspection of the house, the inspector found that the inducer motor had a crack in it. So I had a hvac company come and install a new inducer motor, they also cleaned around the gas burners and installed a new filter that filters the air that comes in from the outside.

While the tech was inside he said the thermostat was old and I should upgrade to a Honeywell that he uses so I did and it works much better, keep the house right at 70 where we like it. It even comes on less now and keeps the temp the same.

So I asked is there anything else I should do to make this furnace run better or more efficient? He checked the vents and said they look pretty clean and said I should be fine.

So I wanted to ask here, is there anything else I could do on my own to clean, blow out, wipe off, replace a part that's common that would make it even more efficient?

Why I ask is because he said it's a 16year old system, still in great shape but that I will want to keep it maintained well so I can get as much life out of it as possible.

Here is the info on it.

Rheem Criterion 2 Gas
BTU: 75.000
6.8 amps
Model: RGLH-07EAUER

It also has the original A/C unit outside that's also Rheem. Works great, nice cold air.

Thank you!

mwpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Certainly great advice that has two edges, keeps your unit at its peak and makes money for him in return service call.

You may or may not have needed the stat, and if you are not very savoy, unscrupulous techs can sense this and will take advantage of you.

Other than making sure your filters are changed regularly and annual service calls from a trusted tech, sounds like you are on the right track, in my opinion.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #3

The stat was an old Hunter one, he said they are junk.

The new filter (Honeywell) he put in said I could get 6-9 months on it, wrote a date on it and everything. He installed it into the very top of the furnace, so I just get on a small ladder and pull it out.

What does the furnace need done to it annualy? (other than the filter)
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

New Filter, inducer motor and Stat
Attached Thumbnails
Rheem Criterion 2 efficiency-new-filter.jpg   Rheem Criterion 2 efficiency-new-motor.jpg   Rheem Criterion 2 efficiency-honeywell-stat.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

Routine cleaning and if it is gas burners are checked for correct burning. They can even test the gas valve to make sure it is at correct pressure. They check to make sure that the gas chamber is not cracked, very important on older systems but I am sure it is one of those things that can even happen on a not so old system.

If you don't have one already in your home, in conjunction with smoke detector, you need a carbon monoxide detector.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

Yes I do need a carbon monoxide detector. I forgot about that till just now.

I'm going to have to call around and see about getting all that routine stuff checked out just to make sure. Do you know what the average cost of a routine check of the system costs?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #7

No I am sure that varies all around the US. Ask neighbors and BBB for references. Call and ask various companies to email you their cost and what they do, to compare.

If I am not mistaken, even from pros here price talk is taboo!
mwpaulson (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 298

I see they used galvanized pipe for the gas line, should be black pipe.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,790

That price varies greatly in each area, and across the country. Some companies don't do much, others check everything.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
I see they used galvanized pipe for the gas line, should be black pipe.
Does that matter? Seems to be fine.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #11

I have outside the A/C unit, it's a Rheem Central Air Conditioner Model# RAKA-030JAZ and from what I can tell from online specs it's 30,000 BTU unit for this 1440sq feet 1 story home. That's the correct size for this home right?

It runs great, I've had no problems with it either. I'm going to clean out the leaves and what not from inside the fan area this weekend and just clean the area around it (make it look better)

My question is, does this unit also heat the house or is just A/C? If it does heat the house in anyway and I don't want to use it for heating but just A/C is that ok?

I just need some clarification here.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwpaulson
I have outside the A/C unit, it's a Rheem Central Air Conditioner Model# RAKA-030JAZ and from what I can tell from online specs it's 30,000 BTU unit for this 1440sq feet 1 story home. That's the correct size for this home right?

It runs great, I've had no problems with it either. I'm going to clean out the leaves and what not from inside the fan area this weekend and just clean the area around it (make it look better)

My question is, does this unit also heat the house or is just A/C? If it does heat the house in anyway and I don't want to use it for heating but just A/C is that ok?

I just need some clarification here.

Thanks!
You said in your original post that you have a gas furnace, so no the outside unit does not operate during heat operation.

When cleaning, turn off the electrical breakers and rinse down the coil itself. Do not use excessive pressure.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #13

As far as the size, there are programs that ac folks use that determine heating and cooling sizes. They have to enter square footage, windows, insulation,number of occupants, direction of home and the list goes on.

It's a science!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #14

I was just wondering because they had a blue wire in the thermostat area when I took the old Hunter therostat off labeled "O/B" but when I went to the gas furnace and looked at the wire board it only had W/Y/G/R/C with the White wire to W, Yellow and Red wire to Y, Green wire to G, Red wire to R and the Blue wire to C. I'll include a pic.

Also there is already alittle bit of that white stuff comming back after 2 weeks, is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Rheem Criterion 2 efficiency-letters.jpg   Rheem Criterion 2 efficiency-letter-area.jpg   Rheem Criterion 2 efficiency-white-stuff.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwpaulson
I was just wondering because they had a blue wire in the thermostat area when I took the old Hunter therostat off labeled "O/B" but when I went to the gas furnace and looked at the wire board it only had W/Y/G/R/C with the White wire to W, Yellow and Red wire to Y, Green wire to G, Red wire to R and the Blue wire to C. I'll include a pic.

Also there is already alittle bit of that white stuff comming back after 2 weeks, is that normal?
Can't help you with the wiring question.

As far as the dust is it soft or hard?