Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #1

Share |

Rheem Cased Coils Help.

After reading through the poorly written manual I proceeded to go ahead and continue the install. I n the parts bag i have some items i am not familiar with plus i had a few other questions. The rubber pad i am sure is for sealing after they hook it up. but just wanted to clarify.

I am having the person from which i purchased come and do the ac hook ups. What i am wondering is there doesn't seem to be any mention of fastening this unit to the furnace. The furnace is a Comfort-Aire (Rheem/Ruud) and it appears it is just to sit on top with nothing mounting the two pieces together. It dont seem right hence the reason i am asking.

Pics of piece in question.

MNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rheem Cased Coils Help.

That bracket is to mount and insulate the thermostatic expansion valve bulb to the suction line just before the evaporator coil.

Yes, if this is an upflow system then the coil merely sits on top of the furnace. The opening of the furnace should match the opening of the evap coil and three of the four sides should be flush. No screws needed, just taped. The furnace opening has small vertical lips that the coil should fit perfectly onto to and then the outside edges should be flush. The only side that will not be flush is the front service side as that's where the flue pipe might attach but that's how they're made to fit together. Nine out of ten times at least, in a perfect world. Sometimes the edges of the coil may stick out an inch on each side but that's usually because they didn't look hard enough for the right one or got that one at a lesser cost. Not a big deal if it's the correct tonnage and if the overhang is sealed with duct board insulation so it doesn't sweat.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
MNice (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rheem Cased Coils Help.

See the lips on top of the furnace? That holds the evap perfectly in place. You pretty much have to drop kick the evaporator if you want to seperate it from the furnace once it's taped and/or been hardcast.

The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holliday For This Useful Post:
MNice (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

Rheem Cased Coils Help.

Ok sweet so those parts are for the tech once they come out to do the line set and charging. It does sit flush on all sides. You answered my next question which was does it need to be sealed with tape. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Rheem Cased Coils Help.

you could also run a bead of silicone around top of furnace then install coil into silicone for a nice seal and just wipe off excess....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rheem Cased Coils Help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNice View Post
Ok sweet so those parts are for the tech once they come out to do the line set and charging. It does sit flush on all sides. You answered my next question which was does it need to be sealed with tape. Thanks!

You're welcome. Here's a txv and the same bracket you have. The bulb that the bracket is used on is the long brass cyclinder at the end of the looped and very thin line. The txv screws or is brazed onto the liquid line at or inside of the evaporator, the bulp gets strapped to the suction line at pretty much the same place.

The txv is a metering device, allows refrigerant into your evaporator coil. Too much and it close off, too little and it opens up, constantly throttling back and forth.

Your hvac guy will know all of this, just a heads up.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rheem Cased Coils Help.

Oops, here's the txv and bracket.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #8

Rheem Cased Coils Help.

Yup that is right out front where the hook ups are. at least i can now proceed on the rest of the install. been waiting for the coil and didn't really need another set back.