Rheem Air Handler Recall And Issues.... - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 188

Rheem Air Handler Recall and Issues....

Hello All,

I developed some concerns over our RHUUD air handler/heat strip and would appreciate some input. This is a 10seer split ac unit with auxiliary heat. The final electrical inspection (turn on power) shows as August 1999 for the home.

Initially, I noticed the built-in air handler breakers(2 x 60amp) are both completely frozen. There is quite a bit of corrossion on all electrical components within. So much so, that some of the individual strands on the stranded ground wire has corroded/broken off. The breaker lugs were also heavily corroded, as well as capacitor, so I'm concerned with those also.

I did some research on the unit and couldn't find anything specific but did come across a Recall notice(fire hazard) on the unit. Our date code is M 4498, btw. I tried contacting RHEEM but the phone number provided is no longer 24/7, so it will be Monday.

1) How can I tell if the unit was retrofitted to accomodate the recall issue? There is nothing denoting such. .

2) Is this unit salvageable as best you can tell from pics, or is the corrosion, age and noted concerns too much?

3) How do you think this will most likely play out if the unit does require a retrofit? Will they fix the unit and other issues, will they elect to replace, will they issue a credit of some sort? I think it is R22 but cannot say for sure...

Thanks, Ralph
Attached Thumbnails
Rheem Air Handler Recall and Issues....-img_0156a.jpg   Rheem Air Handler Recall and Issues....-img_0159a.jpg   Rheem Air Handler Recall and Issues....-img_0162a.jpg   Rheem Air Handler Recall and Issues....-img_0153a.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Ralph III; 03-10-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #2

Any insight, anyone?

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

This unit in the attic? Is the drain for coil clean and clear? When in a/c mode you seeing blower blowing condensation off the coil into electrical area?
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator1076 View Post
This unit in the attic? Is the drain for coil clean and clear? When in a/c mode you seeing blower blowing condensation off the coil into electrical area?
Yes, the air handler is in our attic and there appear to be no clogs with the drain lines. I cannot say whether condensation is being sucked into the electrical components nor whether the amount of rust/corrossion is typical. That's partly why I inquired. It appears to be excessive to me however given the breakers are frozen up and corrossion on wiring, etc.

My questions are whether the corrosion seems excessive as to warrant complete air handler replacement. I also hoped those who have experience with recalls may have some insight.

Thanks, Ralph