Rheem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Rheem

http://natureaircorp.com/downloads/rheem/rpqljez/rheem_rpqljez_specifications.pdf
Is it a good unit ? I can get this for a great price. My HVAC guy says its probably good but he likes Trane. Thats what his company prefers. Is the Rheem better or worse than any others ??

Advertisement

JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Rheem

Only as good or as bad as the guy/gal doing the work, and the person keeping the system maintained.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Willing to listen

Rewards Points: 75

Rheem

What Greg said.

I do like the Rheem JEZ units though. Fully encased coil protected from hail, weed wackers, etc. Scroll compressor with sound blanket, and protected by locating it in the back service end. Factory hard start. Unit has nice diagnostics/protection control board and no contactor to ever get gunked up by bugs like fire ants. A quality install with this unit should serve you well for years.
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #4

Rheem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Only as good or as bad as the guy/gal doing the work, and the person keeping the system maintained.

What maintenance and how often ? I know to keep it clean, is there more to it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done That View Post
What Greg said.

I do like the Rheem JEZ units though. Fully encased coil protected from hail, weed wackers, etc. Scroll compressor with sound blanket, and protected by locating it in the back service end. Factory hard start. Unit has nice diagnostics/protection control board and no contactor to ever get gunked up by bugs like fire ants. A quality install with this unit should serve you well for years.
Thanks. Nobody I know has Rheem. My Carrier lasted 17 years but it worked a lot harder than it should because it was undersized. Seemed to run 24/7 all summer. It was 1.5 tons. I did an on line calculator and came up with 1.8, so I'm going with 2 tons on the Rheem.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
REP

Rewards Points: 500

Rheem

35-40 years ago Rheem was a run of the mill nothing special equipment co.Then about 30 years ago something happened and their engineering and design caught fire.I would put them up with Carrier,Lennox and Trane today.
Interesting side.About 30 years ago I got to meet one of the old design engineers from Rheem.Absolutely great old guy.
He told me that his goal was to advance with the new ( at that time spark ignition haha) technology while keeping it as KISS as possible.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Rheem

Maintenance as in cleaning the coils monthly during cooling seasons, keeping the debris from piling up inside the unit, having at the most a 24 month check up, and same for the inside unit. Costs go up, when people do not clean the coils, or just look at it as a piece of yard art and forget that it has some work to do, to keep your home environment in check.

I find it ironic, that people have hvac systems, and do not use them, or set the thermostat at such a degree point, that the system does not cycle to keep the temp in the home at a level that is not overly cold or overly hot.

We have Rheem units all over town, and most are so old, that they are still working. I have a Armstrong Air 13seer 2 ton, which is manufactured by Lennox, and is very quiet, but not as quiet as the neighbors to the right of me. We went to look at my other neighbor's, due to she was complaining that it was not cooling properly on her Lennox. We found about two feet of leaf debris in there, and the coils had quite a bit on the inside, but not enough to coat to keep out airflow. Cleaned it up and it cools like a charm. Stuff like that is what you need to do, and systems will last for years.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 252

Rheem

Quote:
What Greg said.

I have a JEZ unit. Didn't know they didn't have a contactor. What is used to switch the 240 V?

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #8

Rheem

Thanks guys. Sounds like the Rheem will do the job. We have 100* summers and 0* winters, it will run 8 or 9 months out of the year. Gas furnace will handle the real cold stuff. I will pull the trigger on the Rheem, matching A coil and a multi function stat.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Willing to listen

Rheem

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesubotee View Post
I have a JEZ unit. Didn't know they didn't have a contactor. What is used to switch the 240 V?

V
The functionality is built into the control board and then improved upon. As mentioned, it is now sealed from bugs, etc. It is also monitored by the microprocessor algorithms to only open and close at Zero Cross current which dramatically increases the switching life of the contacts.

The large Blue relay on the control board is providing this capability. You will see that the control board is directly wired to L1/L2 line voltage in your unit, and has outputs to the compressor. This is also how the board is able to provide compressor diagnostics and protective shutdowns, since it has "visibility" to all of this voltage/current/sensor information.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 252

Rheem

Quote:
The functionality is built into the control board and then improved upon. As mentioned, it is now sealed from bugs, etc. It is also monitored by the microprocessor algorithms to only open and close at Zero Cross current which dramatically increases the switching life of the contacts.

The large Blue relay on the control board is providing this capability. You will see that the control board is directly wired to L1/L2 line voltage in your unit, and has outputs to the compressor. This is also how the board is able to provide compressor diagnostics and protective shutdowns, since it has "visibility" to all of this voltage/current/sensor information.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Thinking about it, I think the tech/installer mentioned about the (lack of) contactor.

Could you explain the 'cross-current' deal is?

V
veesubotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
Willing to listen

Rheem

Concept is based on the AC sine wave. In this chart if you open the contacts (of a traditional contactor or the Rheem on-board switch) on the "zero cross" dashed line there will be no arcing and therefore no contact damage because no current is present here. If you break elsewhere you begin to see an arc flash and some transfer of contact material which gets progressively worse as you reach the + or - peaks. Contactors open at random...sometimes it's ok and sometimes it's bad, but over time you see pitted contacts that wear out or weld stuck closed. The Rheem control board has a brain and the ability thru algorithms and an integrated optical sensor to learn the zero cross points and lock in to them.

Best I can describe it...disclaimer I'm not an engineer or anything but this is the basic concept of how it is accomplished.

Advertisement