Return Register Size For 16" Flex - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 132
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


What size return register do I need for 16 inch flex. There will be one register centrally located in the hall way.

Advertisement

hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


600 sq in should work (depending on the cfm's in the flex duct).

Keep in mind that it is not about size, it is about cfm's pushed through. A 16 flex can have anywhere from 0 to 10,000 cfm's or more. Average would be about 1800 cfm's.

If you want to do it correctly (and don't have the tools) you should total the cfm of your furnace, divide the total inches of duct work, and multiply that times the volume of each duct to get an idea of how much is flowing through each duct. Then you could find a reasonable idea of how much air is going through the 16. Then you could get a more accurate idea of how big the return should be.

It is usually better to go bigger if in doubt. Starving a furnace for return air is a good way to shorten it's life and decrease it's efficiency.

Advertisement

__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
600 sq in should work (depending on the cfm's in the flex duct).

Keep in mind that it is not about size, it is about cfm's pushed through. A 16 flex can have anywhere from 0 to 10,000 cfm's or more. Average would be about 1800 cfm's.

If you want to do it correctly (and don't have the tools) you should total the cfm of your furnace, divide the total inches of duct work, and multiply that times the volume of each duct to get an idea of how much is flowing through each duct. Then you could find a reasonable idea of how much air is going through the 16. Then you could get a more accurate idea of how big the return should be.

It is usually better to go bigger if in doubt. Starving a furnace for return air is a good way to shorten it's life and decrease it's efficiency.

Marv 10,000 cfm is 25 tons of cooling. You won't get that thru 16" flex pal
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Marv 10,000 cfm is 25 tons of cooling. You won't get that thru 16" flex pal
I know, but with enough force you can shove anything through.

Plus it would be really windy.
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
I know, but with enough force you can shove anything through.

Plus it would be really windy.
10,000cfm thru a 16" metal flex would blow like a hand grenade.

It has never been done nor would it ever be considered.
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
10,000cfm thru a 16" metal flex would blow like a hand grenade.

It has never been done nor would it ever be considered.
I was just giving an example.

Size of return is all dependent on the output of the furnace.

If you look at the other end of my example I had 0 CFM. In that case there would be no need for a return, right?
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
I was just giving an example.

Size of return is all dependent on the output of the furnace.

If you look at the other end of my example I had 0 CFM. In that case there would be no need for a return, right?

Sorry but it was just too much for a layman not to accept at face value.
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Sorry but it was just too much for a layman not to accept at face value.
I suppose when I give examples they shouldn't be that extreme. But being that extreme drives home the point for sure.

I tell my paramedic students to never start in intraocular IV. That gets them thinking and some figure it out and some don't. There is no such thing as in intraocular IV since that means sticking a needle in the eyeball and running some fluid or drugs in there. DON'T BLINK, DON'T BLINK!!!!!!!
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
oops, did I do that!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: mid michigan
Posts: 290
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Flex for a return...not the best choice.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Member
 
1610 CUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Keokuk,Iowa
Posts: 209
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


10,000CFM at 7,500FPM = 16" used only to suck up small children and pets. Some industrial application's may apply.
1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1610 CUB View Post
10,000CFM at 7,500FPM = 16" used only to suck up small children and pets. Some industrial application's may apply.
And duct cleaning....
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1610 CUB View Post
10,000CFM at 7,500FPM = 16" used only to suck up small children and pets. Some industrial application's may apply.
We call that a shop vac on steroids.
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
I suppose when I give examples they shouldn't be that extreme. But being that extreme drives home the point for sure.

I tell my paramedic students to never start in intraocular IV. That gets them thinking and some figure it out and some don't. There is no such thing as in intraocular IV since that means sticking a needle in the eyeball and running some fluid or drugs in there. DON'T BLINK, DON'T BLINK!!!!!!!
Does this mean i can't inject my back pain meds in my tear ducts anymore?
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:26 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Does this mean i can't inject my back pain meds in my tear ducts anymore?
If you can stick a needle in your eyeball you are a better man than I.
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,543
Rewards Points: 4,724
Default

Return Register Size for 16" Flex


Guess you wouldn't like the 6" pipe that has 2000CFM moving through it.

This pipe runs 300', and has a 100 hp blower on it.
It also travels several foot into a treatment tank.
And runs at 5PSIG static presure.

If you got the Horse Power, you can move as much air as you want through a small pipe.


O P. How much air do you want this 16" flex to move.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with return and supply size XHornet85 HVAC 9 09-17-2008 12:13 AM
Return Air Grille Size...? ssporty21228 HVAC 4 08-17-2008 11:00 PM
return duct size dave150 HVAC 4 02-20-2008 03:19 PM
What size should cold air return grille be? AllGoNoShow HVAC 1 02-27-2007 04:48 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts