Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Return air box under air handler soaked. Should I be worried?

Clogged drain in the garage air handler caused the condensate pan to overflow into the return air box beneath it, soaking the bottom of the box pretty good. I fixed the drain issue, but now I am worried about the box drying out. I am currently leaving the blower fan on continuously and keeping the air down at 75 F. It's been 48 hours and it seems like it is drying out, probably slower than I would like it to though. Is this all I can do since the inside of this return air box is not accessible without tearing it all open? If mold grows on the inside of the box while it is drying out, will it go away after it drys out?

I have attached some pictures that I took of the current condition of the inside of the box by sticking the phone into the air filter slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Return air box under air handler soaked.  Should I be worried?-photo-1.jpg   Return air box under air handler soaked.  Should I be worried?-photo-2.jpg   Return air box under air handler soaked.  Should I be worried?-photo-3.jpg   Return air box under air handler soaked.  Should I be worried?-photo-4.jpg  

noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Return air box under air handler soaked. Should I be worried?

That is simply duct board and you can cut a big square in it and use foil tape to patch/close it back up once you are finished cleaning the inside by way of vacuum cleaner and Lysol.

It will dry but it may smell.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote