Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #1

Share |

retrofitting ductwork in a ranch house with none

so i had a boiler and ripped it out and put in a forced air furnace. the outgoing duct work was easy enough, just cut holes in the floor and connect the register boxes and flex-ducts to the plenum. now for the return air system. i understand those are to be in the walls. i am concerned about lining the wall stacks up between the studs in the walls and the floor joists in the basement as i would rather not cut into those. is this possible? if i could put the cold air returns in the floor too this would be so much easier.

angelas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Mine are on the floor. One in the living room against the wall corner as you come in the front door, and the other at the end of our hallway near the back bedroom. We had a old Gravity Octopus type furnace, so it stayed as is, and works well for our new unit. Put up a drawing of the layout of your house, so you can get better help, and we can see what you are working with.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

the 2 red lines on the left are the 2 bedrooms. the rest of the green area is the open floor plan. the red dots was where i was going to put them. 1 in each bedroom and a couple in the open area. the kitchen is at the far right of the house.

angelas111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

I would put the supply in the rooms under the windows, return on the wall in the hall between the bedrooms, living may need two. If wanting return in the bedrooms, that would better, especially if you are in the Warmer climate areas.

There us software available to do the guess work on supply and ducts, but not worth the costs vs. having a compay that does this or a hvac engineer lay it out.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote