Rerouting / Reconfiguring Vents For Kitchen - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rerouting / Reconfiguring Vents for Kitchen

Hello,
I am working on a remodel and due to some framing issues, the existing supply duct to my kitchen can no longer reach its prior location with the same size duct due to the installation of a new beam. The system is relatively new. Previously the area (including the laundry room) was serviced by a single 7" supply line and a single 6" x 10" register.

I can come up with two possible ways to re-route the supply. 1) Either run the ducts into a new soffit along side the new beam in order to provide air/heat to the kitchen area. I would not be able to access the laundry room from the soffit, so it would be in conjunction with option (2) which is to reduce the duct size and access the kitchen and laundry (or just laundry in conjunction with option (1)) through a roughly 5" notch that I am allowed to take out of the beam.

If I go with the soffit to service the kitchen part, it will be about 20" feet long. My thought was that adding 2 new registers and directing them towards the kitchen was probably the way to do this. The laundry will just requite one small register (serviced by 4"?).

I do a lot of work on my house but have not done much in the hvac department. Any tips or tricks to get the air back into the new kitchen and laundry space based on the above constraints?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

rustlerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,496

Might want to go with a 5" to the laundry for cooling if you want the temp in it to be close to the rest of the house.

Run along side the beam for the kitchen.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Would you also reduce to 5" for the kitchen runs within the soffit?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,496

No, 6 inch min. How well did it keep the kitchen cool in the past with the 7" line serving both rooms. If it didn't, then make it a 7". You can always throttle it down later. can't throttle up an under sized run.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

It cooled the kitchen fine previously. The register was mounted in the side of the kitchen right above the door into the laundry room so the laundry was only tangentially served. Now that I have to reconfigure the line, I was going to add a dedicate register to the laundry. I will do my best to get two 6" supplies into the soffit for the kitchen and a 5" over to the laundry. Thanks.