Replacing Wall Mounted AC Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 53

Replacing wall mounted AC unit

I have two wall mounted Figidaire AC units. One downstairs in my living room and the other upstairs in the master bedroom. I would always keep the bedroom door closed at night to keep the cold air in. I didn't realize closing off space was bad for units measured at certain BTUs. This unit got moldy and had to be thrown away. I am looking to replace it now that the hotter months are coming.

The sleeve is still in the wall and in good shape. The outlet used for this unit is 20A 250V so I would need to get an AC unit with that plug. What is the best way to find a unit that will fit inside the existing sleeve that uses that plug?

Advertisement

h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
I have two wall mounted Figidaire AC units. One downstairs in my living room and the other upstairs in the master bedroom. I would always keep the bedroom door closed at night to keep the cold air in. I didn't realize closing off space was bad for units measured at certain BTUs. This unit got moldy and had to be thrown away. I am looking to replace it now that the hotter months are coming.

The sleeve is still in the wall and in good shape. The outlet used for this unit is 20A 250V so I would need to get an AC unit with that plug. What is the best way to find a unit that will fit inside the existing sleeve that uses that plug?
The outlet can be change fairly easy. I would recommend finding an AC unit that will fit or something that is adaptable.

Advertisement

Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Buy according to the sleeve. If the new a/c is slightly smaller fill the space with insulating foam. You can find a list of standard sizes online, so once you measure your sleeve you should have no problem.
JamieH4 is offline   Reply With Quote