Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158

Replacing QOU Air Handler Breaker, help please...

Hello,
I've never installed a Square D (QOU) type breaker and need to replace the ones in my air handler as they are completely frozen due to corrossion.

1) Does anyone have a video or tutorial of some sort for installing these? I cannot tell what holds them in place? Do the two 60amp breakers just clamp on those metal brackets, as shown in first photo, that the line lugs are attached to (right side)? What holds the left side of the breakers in place, where the air handler wires insert? I assume these are indeed two seperate breakers and not a solid unit?

2) There appear to be multiple wires (oranges and blacks) inserted into each lug as shown in the second photo? Are those wires stripped, twisted together and then inserted into the lugs or are they clamped together some how and then inserted? It is quite corroded and my concern is the wire ends will break off upon removing them from breaker. If that occurs, can I splice one new wire with the existing multiple wires and then insert the one wire into each respective lug? Otherwise, what is the best approach? I mean can I buy those wires made up as such?

Thanks, Ralph
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing QOU Air Handler Breaker, help please...-zzz1-3-.jpg   Replacing QOU Air Handler Breaker, help please...-zzz1-1-.jpg   Replacing QOU Air Handler Breaker, help please...-zzz1-2-.jpg   Replacing QOU Air Handler Breaker, help please...-zzz1-4-.jpg  

Last edited by Ralph III; 03-13-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
REP

Rewards Points: 500

I don't remember seeing that circut breaker before.It might be something Sq D made for that particuliar air handeling unit.
While you are working on this unit,you might be well, advised to check all those Klixon limit and fan switches .I see that that little RBM relay looks like its already been replaced at least once and those Klixon switches are not buildt that much stronger so take a few minutes to check them.
Aas for those wires just be carefull disconnecting them.Clean them with a good contact cleaner and use a deoxidizer after reattaching them.
Good luck.

REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
I don't remember seeing that circut breaker before.It might be something Sq D made for that particuliar air handeling unit.
While you are working on this unit,you might be well, advised to check all those Klixon limit and fan switches .I see that that little RBM relay looks like its already been replaced at least once and those Klixon switches are not buildt that much stronger so take a few minutes to check them.
Aas for those wires just be carefull disconnecting them.Clean them with a good contact cleaner and use a deoxidizer after reattaching them.
Good luck.
Thanks Rep for replying. I'm not an AC man, obviously, so would appreciate your specific explanations.

1) Which are the Klixon limit and fan switches and what should I check for?

2) My immediate concern is with the breakers, as I highly doubt they would trip if required. Both are however protected by an 80amp breaker at nearby subpanel, which powers the airhandler/heat strip.

I don't have any problem finding the breakers (QOU) otherwise (42-23201-01) which does indeed indicate specifically for RHEEM. My unit is about 13 years old (10 seer). Those breakers come with some clips, but I'm unsure how those are to attach it to the unit and whether they are necessary. It appears the clips are optional and depends on installation?

I just want the thing to run for another year at which point I will have the system replaced with a heat pump.

Thanks, Ralph
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote