DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing old Honeywell thermostat with new Honeywell thermostat

21K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
Hi,

Not sure if this is something a DIY'er should be attempting to do - I thought it would be more straightforward than it now seem!! Lol...

I live in a condo where we have the old Honeywell thermostat pictured below. I don't know much about our heating / cooling system, but I believe that the condo centrally controls whether the heat or AC is on - and that's really all I know!

When I removed the old thermostat, there are six wires: yellow, red, blue, black, brown, and orange (but connected to a white wire).

Only the orange and yellow wires seem to be connected to the temperature control.

The other wires are connected to the fan speed and master on/off switches.

My new thermostat is also a Honeywell (model RTH7600D1014 - product link below). The back of the thermostat has a number of slots for wiring but none of the codes and the installation instructions make any sense! The install instructions assume you are replacing a 4-wire thermostat.

Thanks!

New Honeywell Thermostat:
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=977128&Ntt=977128&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
See on your new thermostat there are letters on the terminals? On the old thermostat are there letters next to where the wires are? The reason i ask is because the wiring is different for gas heat, and heat pump. The new thermostat is compatable with both. Can you take a look at your furnace? What is the model number? Do you have cooling as well?

#6 ·
Thanks for getting back to me! I put together the attached diagram to show the wiring and what the back of the old thermostat looks like. Not many of the wires are labelled but I also added labels for what the switches do.

In the bottom right corner in the square is the diagram that is illustrated on the back panel of the thermostat.

Sorry, not sure what kind of heat system my building has!!

#8 ·
Your current thermostat is a line voltage thermostat that is used to control a water valve and the fan motor.

The RTH thermostat you have is a low voltage thermostat, and can not be used on your system, without adding a relay system.

#14 ·
HVAC would be the right person. its not something commonly done though. So you would need someone that is good with controls and control wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.