DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing Old Duct - What material?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Pawl 
#1 ·
This is the first time I have replaced ducts in my house and am looking for a little advice. The top of these two pieces in the attached picture on the end are rotted out. The first piece is an 8x10 to 4x10 reducer and the second is a 4x10 piece with a cap on the end. Are these two pieces readily available to purchase online or in store? Would they have to be custom made? Would it make sense for me to replace the two pieces with the same thing or is there something better that I should be doing? If you need any more information or pictures to best come up with an answer just let me know. Thanks!!!:thumbup:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
On most of the round duct in my attic I put 4" wide cloth tape over the foil tape at each joint. They have a paste/glue type material called "airball" that I would cut the cloth tape the length I needed and dip it into the bucket of this airball paste and then squeeze out the excess. Then with it still wet you just lay it over the foil tape already in place and just form it to the duct and once it dries it will probably outlive all of us. Many times the foil tape dries out over time and doesnt stick anymore.I have not worked with this airball material since the early 1980's when I quit that profession and went into a new line of work.
But I needed some airball a few years later and found it at an insulation supply company. And the cloth tape comes in rolls like gray tape.I dont think home depot would sell it. Like someone said earlier if your ducts are rotted out I would find a sheet metal shop in your area. Get the measurements and some digital photos you can show them and they will fabricate new ones for you.Then after reinstalling the new ducts seal the joints up nice and your all set. Plus check all your other joints. Anywhere you can feel air coming out when your ducts are under pressure need to be sealed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.