Replacing Mobile Home Package AC Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing Mobile Home Package AC Unit

It's a big case (2.5' x 3' x 5'), and the entire unit sits outside the mobile home (28x70) in coastal Mississippi.

A Eubank 5 ton package AC unit (with 10kw heat strip) was here when we bought the home, and it did a good job for ten years (not one problem), but the compressor was stutter starting and now is apparently seized. It is not cooling or condensing any water out the drain.

Everything I have read says don't make a major repair on a ten year old AC, replace it instead. btw, Eubank is out of the residential AC business now.

I can get a Rheem 5 ton package AC unit off eBay (with heatstrip) delivered for $2500 to $3000 depending on SEER rating (13 or 14). Feedback ratings are excellant.

I have the electrical skills to make the power connections and thermostat connections, and can hook up the flexible ducts. I have been a hand rigger and an equipment operator, and can move stuff safely where it has to go. But if a licensed AC contractor does not do these tasks, there is no warranty from Rheem. Money is scarce (ain't it always).

My question for you who have priced similar situations is this: Is it even worth the time and effort of getting (and bothering) local contractors to quote the same type unit and the same installation work?

My first instinct is not to bother anyone and DIY (even though the warranty will be lost), but I might be wrong.

Advertisement

Last edited by jack roscoe; 05-07-2010 at 12:13 PM.
jack roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #2

Eubanks mobile home units had the return ducts and supply ducts backwards from Rheem package units...You will have to cross the ducts

Advertisement

stevenkj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,486

You will also find that the new unit is made for larger ducts.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #4

That is correct and Rheem will have rectangular duck connectors where as the Eubanks had round. Try a HVAC supply house for adapters, or have a sheet metal shop make them for you.

OOPS....Duct connectors....not duck..lol
stevenkj1 is offline   Reply With Quote