Replacing Low Voltage Thermostat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Replacing low voltage thermostat

I have electric baseboard heat that is connected to a low voltage thermostat through a transformer/relay. From the wall there is 4 wires red, black, yellow and green. There are two screws on the back of the old thermostat and the red and black are connected to one and the yellow and green are connected to the other. I was expecting a red and white wire and maybe black for the c wire. How do I wire to the new thermostat?

Advertisement

Jpy52876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 522

How are these wired into the radiators? Is the old stat double pole, or is there different stages?

Advertisement

roughneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

The old t'stat is just a temperature controlled switch. If you are going digital setback or nest give up a model number.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:07 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 5,670

Need to change the low voltage wiring at the relay also if you want to use a digital thermostat that requires a common.

Post pic of wiring at relay.
ben's plumbing (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #5

I was planning on replacing the old thermostat with a zwave 2gig ct100. It's a vacation home so I'll post a pic of wiring at relay when I'm back up there.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 AM   #6

So, can't for the life of me find the relay. Traced the low voltage wiring down to the crawlspace where it's supposed to be located but can't find it. So I guess my question is, without that pic of the wiring at the relay there's no way to tell how to wire the new thermostat? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpy52876 View Post
I have electric baseboard heat that is connected to a low voltage thermostat through a transformer/relay. From the wall there is 4 wires red, black, yellow and green. There are two screws on the back of the old thermostat and the red and black are connected to one and the yellow and green are connected to the other. I was expecting a red and white wire and maybe black for the c wire. How do I wire to the new thermostat?
Your system is a 2 wire system. They have simply doubled up the wire most likely because a 4 conductor cable was used and they had extra conductors.

The CT 100 I believe needs the common wire so you must have 3 wires at the stat. No problem because you have the extra wire run already... you have to find the transformer/relay though. If it was all original install then you will most likely find it at or near the main breaker panel. You *may* be able to hear with a cup against the wall it if all is quiet enough. Transformers usually (but not always) give off a quiet humming noise.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Your system is a 2 wire system. They have simply doubled up the wire most likely because a 4 conductor cable was used and they had extra conductors.

The CT 100 I believe needs the common wire so you must have 3 wires at the stat. No problem because you have the extra wire run already... you have to find the transformer/relay though. If it was all original install then you will most likely find it at or near the main breaker panel. You *may* be able to hear with a cup against the wall it if all is quiet enough. Transformers usually (but not always) give off a quiet humming noise.
Thanks. The instructions with the CT100 say it can use a 2 wire system and use a battery. Would I still have to find the relay with that setup?
Old 01-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpy52876 View Post
Thanks. The instructions with the CT100 say it can use a 2 wire system and use a battery. Would I still have to find the relay with that setup?
If you can use a battery then no, finding the transformer/relay becomes irrelevant.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 5,670

Be sure to change your batteries every year. It says a 2 year battery life. But why risk frozen pipes.

Advertisement