Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Share |

replacing insulaton on 3/4" line outside

What type of insulation is best used to replace the insulation on the 3/4" line coming from the AC compressor outside? the stuff I have now is showing wear and looks like its time to be redone... would the standard rubber like black tube stuff you can get at lowes be good enough? also whats the best way to keep it on? just zip ties? (thats all there is on what I have now...) thanks!
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Any good rubber insulation will work. The stuff the trade uses is called armaflex. Zip ties work and it is not critical it be airtight.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #3

Well last night went out and took off the insulation outside going to the compressor unit... wow was it deterated... it littearly crumbled when I started pulling it off... but the old insulation seemed a lot thinner... probably 1/4" thick... the new stuff is 1/2" thick.... any idea on what R-Value the insulation should be? the stuff I put on says on it R3.8 wasnt sure if that was enough or good enough.... but then anything is better then crumbling and full of holes insulation right?...

anyways some more questions...

I was reading where it says the "refrigerant lines (plural) should be insulated" now I obviously just replaced the insulation on the suction line outside... the suction line inside is insulated and in relatively good condition on the straight parts... but have some parts they over tightened with wire ties and the vibration make it eat through the stuff so that needs replaced (About 3 ft section of a 20 ft line...) but what about the other line? any reason to insulate it also? the book I have says it plural like both should be then talks about insulating the suction line which is done...

next question... it says insulate to the plenum, I have it running littearly until it is touching the coil box and the insulation is firm up against it on the suction line... there shouldnt be a reason to insulate the part inside the box is there? its about half a foot of line there

last question...

things I read say the suction line should be hot... when I touch it, it is VERY cold when the AC is running... why do they say it should be hot? the smaller line for me is very cold... this is not a heat pump... its just a forced air system with an AC compressor connected to the A coil...
Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

1) r3.8 is the standard and good
2) both lines are not insulated, suction is because it sweats and we don't want it absorbing heat/losing cooling
3) insulated up to the plenum and no further
4)line should be cold and sweaty in an ac unit, can be hot on the heat cycle of a heat pump
Old 05-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
1) r3.8 is the standard and good
2) both lines are not insulated, suction is because it sweats and we don't want it absorbing heat/losing cooling
3) insulated up to the plenum and no further
4)line should be cold and sweaty in an ac unit, can be hot on the heat cycle of a heat pump
Thanks!

I guess I'm going to finish up replacing the broken parts inside tonight and say its done!