Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing flood damaged furnace/ac

My home was damaged this spring by flooding. My furnace was submersed in
approx 48" of water and the condenser outside was completely covered. I assume these are destroyed but have to ask anyway....can they be repaired instead of replacing??

If not - which I think will be the answer - I am considering installing at least the furnace myself to save money. The damaged one was installed in 1997 so it is fairly new. I consider myself a decent diy'er so i hope for the install to be fairly straight forward.

After that, however, I'm lost. I'd like to hire someone to do 'the hard part' of the a/c side of things but i fear i may be a bit naive when it comes to this project.

Any advice will be appreciated. I'd rather spend the same money on a high end furnace and a/c than pay someone to install a less efficient model. Perhaps that's a long shot...

cebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Replacing flood damaged furnace/ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebeling View Post
My home was damaged this spring by flooding. My furnace was submersed in
approx 48" of water and the condenser outside was completely covered. I assume these are destroyed but have to ask anyway....can they be repaired instead of replacing??

If not - which I think will be the answer - I am considering installing at least the furnace myself to save money. The damaged one was installed in 1997 so it is fairly new. I consider myself a decent diy'er so i hope for the install to be fairly straight forward.

After that, however, I'm lost. I'd like to hire someone to do 'the hard part' of the a/c side of things but i fear i may be a bit naive when it comes to this project.

Any advice will be appreciated. I'd rather spend the same money on a high end furnace and a/c than pay someone to install a less efficient model. Perhaps that's a long shot...
.....to use that furnace again. too many things can go wrong , gas valves , limits , boards , motors , relays , etc..if u must diy , you have to have a pro do the startup so the temp rise , airflow , burners looking ok , draft and a complete inspection of your job for any possible safety issues. now the ac, get the correct coil & install it properly with the right clearances between the heat-x and a-coil bottom so you don't melt out the pan , and also the clearances to the top of the plenum. You see , there's a lot more to this game that meets the eye , hire a pro for assistance so there are no unpleasant surprises at startup time , good luck & regards............Jack

psilliman001 is offline   Reply With Quote