DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing flood damaged furnace/ac

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  psilliman001 
#1 ·
My home was damaged this spring by flooding. My furnace was submersed in
approx 48" of water and the condenser outside was completely covered. I assume these are destroyed but have to ask anyway....can they be repaired instead of replacing?? :)

If not - which I think will be the answer - I am considering installing at least the furnace myself to save money. The damaged one was installed in 1997 so it is fairly new. I consider myself a decent diy'er so i hope for the install to be fairly straight forward.

After that, however, I'm lost. I'd like to hire someone to do 'the hard part' of the a/c side of things but i fear i may be a bit naive when it comes to this project.

Any advice will be appreciated. I'd rather spend the same money on a high end furnace and a/c than pay someone to install a less efficient model. Perhaps that's a long shot...

#2 ·
don't even try.........

My home was damaged this spring by flooding. My furnace was submersed in
approx 48" of water and the condenser outside was completely covered. I assume these are destroyed but have to ask anyway....can they be repaired instead of replacing?? :)

If not - which I think will be the answer - I am considering installing at least the furnace myself to save money. The damaged one was installed in 1997 so it is fairly new. I consider myself a decent diy'er so i hope for the install to be fairly straight forward.

After that, however, I'm lost. I'd like to hire someone to do 'the hard part' of the a/c side of things but i fear i may be a bit naive when it comes to this project.

Any advice will be appreciated. I'd rather spend the same money on a high end furnace and a/c than pay someone to install a less efficient model. Perhaps that's a long shot...
.....to use that furnace again. too many things can go wrong , gas valves , limits , boards , motors , relays , etc..if u must diy , you have to have a pro do the startup so the temp rise , airflow , burners looking ok , draft and a complete inspection of your job for any possible safety issues. now the ac, get the correct coil & install it properly with the right clearances between the heat-x and a-coil bottom so you don't melt out the pan , and also the clearances to the top of the plenum. You see , there's a lot more to this game that meets the eye , hire a pro for assistance so there are no unpleasant surprises at startup time , good luck & regards............Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.