Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing the flame sensor

Hi folks, I haven an issue with my heating system, looks like the pilot and main gas are not coming up.

thinking to replace the flame sensor ( I figured this based on all the youtube videos and internet.. so correct me if I am wrong)

http://postimage.org/image/d3ppsawpf/

but I don't know how to take it off from the assembly ? ( in above pic) , If I just pull it , it does not come out.

diy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

I would forget about the flame sensor, and replace that whole furnace. It is beyond its time.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #3

I would, but I need some time to figure out which one to get/ efficiency/cost etc. the expense is about 7k to 10k!
meanwhile I need this to work
Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by diy50 View Post
I would, but I need some time to figure out which one to get/ efficiency/cost etc. the expense is about 7k to 10k!
meanwhile I need this to work
Hopefully that includes installation. To get a better rough estimate, you can use the calculator at http://www.alpinehomeair.com/kitbuilder_new/ They sell Goodman and their own brand, which I cannot find the manufacturer info who makes the Alpine plated equipment. I have a Armstrong A/C which is manufactured by Lennox, and it is a very good unit.

But still the 7 to 10 thousand pricing hopefully is not just equipment alone. Going back to your original question, can you get a better picture shot of the flame sensor from another angle, and from the top also. The ignitor can be cleaned up with some emery clothe too.

Post the model & manufacturer info on the furnace, which can help those that watch this forum and work on the equipment full time, can steer you where to get the part at the best price.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Thanks. Yes 7k -10k is labor included.

model # is
Model# : PXG -2004A- WNI
BTU: 82 000
Burnham Corp.
I couldn't get the pic from above as the thing is inside the burner
Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

To me the flames are not right, but try the cleaning of the sensor & ignitor with the emery cloth first. Also, the wire connection can go bad, due to the heat and by products of combustion, so you could also try just replacing the wire first before replacing the sensor, to see if that fixes it.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

I have tried cleaning the sensor and ignitor, after cleaning it worked for 3 times , and then again it stopped working, now there is no flame anymore, that makes me believe that I have to replace it. but I can't get the sensor out of the assembly ( I tried gentle pulling -- not with very much force) .. if you can assist me with that, it will be very helpful.

Also, what do you see wrong in the flame, this looks exactly same when I bought this home and inspector said it is fine!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,600

Loose wire at control module or gas valve may be.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
diy50 (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

The flame just appears too high, and the bursting with the Orange/Yellow bursts. To me, it just appears that the burner assembly is getting to the point, that it is not burning like it should be. Could just be that there is soot and ash above the flames, that could be causing that effect.

I would have a hvac company come in and do a complete inspection and see if you might be able to buy a little more time out of the unit, but with the rebates from utilities, etc, you could get it changed out cheaper than what you got quoted.

It is just bothering me going back to the burning when running, and the fact that you have been putting so much effort in keeping it running until you can get the money together to get a unit that will last & be efficient to save you money.

Go to http://www.diychatroom.com/profile.php?do=editprofile and in the additional info box, update with your location.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

I will check the loose wires.

http://postimage.org/image/3pkzkhskd/
above image is my ignition control( johnson controls G775 RHA-2)

I know last three pint in this control others not sure

the last one is sensor goes from control to pilot-burner sensor/assembly
last but 1 is main gas --orange Color -- from control goes to Honeywell gas valve
last but 2 is pilot gas -- Yellow color -- from control to Honeywell gas valve

not sure about the rest ones .. what should be the voltage at those points? 24v ? or some mili volts ?

I am in central -NJ

Last edited by diy50; 03-02-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #11

also, should i go with local contractor / HVAC company or pse&g for the this replacement work ? which would be better in general?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Found some info on that controller. http://www.repair--parts.com/Hand-To...775RHA-2C.php5
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Product bulletin from Johnson Controls http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.co...DF/4350430.PDF

Found some store fronts that sell that controller.

http://stores.pilotairhvacparts.com/...Categories.bok
A little higher http://www.parts4heating.com/Johnson.../g775rha-2.htm

Other searches http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...param=&rd=pref
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
diy50 (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #14

Thank Very much you gregzoll for you help.. I will continue to try untill a new one is replace (may be two weeks!)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

The product bulletin, print out to keep with the furnace, and so you do not have to run back and forth between your computer. It has the wiring diagram, and also the info on your controller in there.