Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing Filter on Furnace/AC Unit

I have a Comfort Products Corporation model number NTG3/FBF furnace/AC unit up in my attic.

My AC is not working very well. So far I've cleaned the condenser screen/mesh outside with a hose and replaced the intake filter in the wall of my house.

I have an owner's manual for it that mentions removing end caps to get to the filter but when I look at it, I can't find any end caps or obvious access panel.

I also have the original installation manual which mentions cutting a square in the unit in various places for an access panel depending on how it's installed. Again, I can't find any obvious access panel. The only thing I can find is some silver tape covering up a slot on the bottom where the intake side is. Maybe that's my access?

Would the filter be on the air intake side or the air output side?

Also, does anyone know if these things use a disposable filter or a washable filter?

Thanks for any help!

KBSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #2

I will post of picture of it as soon as I have enough posts to do so. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #3

Picture on the way.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #4

Here we go.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

I'll try this again.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

Here's a picture if that helps. The left side of the screen is the intake side and right side of the screen is the output. The unit is laid over on it's side the way it's installed.

The galvanized metal is where the intake duct goes in, just to the right of that you can see some silver tape running vertically. Maybe they cut a slot there for my filter access???
Old 05-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

The filter would be on the intake.
ben's plumbing (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #8

Thanks, do you think I should peel back that silver tape to the right of the galvanized steel box to get access to it there? Is that about where the filter would be?
Old 05-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Should be there if there is a slot there.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #10

OK, thanks!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Most likely your filter fits up in the Return air grille on the ceiling. Usually is the one in the Hallway.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #12

I've replaced the one filter in my hallway wall leading to the duct that takes air in from the house and goes to the furnace/AC unit. But isn't there at least one filter in the furnace/AC unit itself that needs to be cleaned or replaced every so often?

I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to access them on this unit. The "users information manual" states that "the air filter(s) should be inspected at least monthly and cleaned or replaced as required".

You'd think they would make something that needs to be checked on monthly easy to get to.

I peeled off the silver HVAC tape and peaked inside the gap between the galvanized steel and the unit and saw what seemed like one filter on the bottom of the unit and one filter at the top. They seem like they might be the washable kind made of foam but I can't figure out how to access them to get them out. Any ideas anyone before I throw in the towel and call an HVAC guy? I feel kind of dumb calling in a pro just to clean or change a filter. Thanks!

P.S. The silver HVAC tape was there to tape a two inch wide piece of galvanized steel in place to close a gap where they hacked too wide of a hole in the furnace where the coupler (not sure the correct word here) for the duct attaches to the furnace/AC unit. I guess they didn't measure twice and cut once, they measured once and cut twice and then taped some stuff together.

Last edited by KBSpecial; 05-18-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

If you only have 1 return. Then there is only 1 air filter.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #14

Although unlikely, its possible that a filter was left in the furnace when it was installed. If this is the case, you do not want one in there.

Three years after my neighbors had a commercial Carrier rtu installed on their house, it froze up. Turns out the installers never removed the 2" factory filters that were shipped with the unit.

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote