Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Replacing a control board

Good afternoon all,

I just replaced the control board in my Arcoaire furnace. The replacement part I received is a universal model but I followed the directions (mostly) and the installation was fairly simple. The only thing I can't seem to change is the jumper wire in the J1 block.

When I connect everything and turn on the furnace I'm getting a 'Control is in lockout due to air not circulating' error code. There's no way it overheated, I'm wondering if the jumper wire placement could be to blame?

Right now I just don't have the $1800 they wanted to replace the control board and at $296 for the part I'm not sure I even want to call the same company back.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

RexHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Generally we do not use Universal boards if the furnace has a ECM variable speed motor as the board is entirely specific to the model of furnace due to the programing. There may be a TSB, tech service bulletin about that scenario but only a dealer of the brand has access to it. Google it. You can create a dangerous situation with universal boards as the programing has to match the model of furnace perfectly also. Sorry.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #3

Okay, thank you. From what I see the board for my furnace is no longer made (9 years old), I did think that I was ordering an OEM board but it certainly wasn't what I received.
Thanks again
Old 11-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Arcoaire will have a retrofit board with conversion instructions and cables to help you but you need to get it from them. One major brand of universal boards is not approved by some manufacturers to work properly with their furnaces so I use OEM wherever possible and for liability reasons.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #5

It's a Honeywell board that much I know. I went through the local distributor but they wouldn't sell to me since I'm a homeowner. I just have a major problem paying $1800 to replace a part that is likely under $500. I do understand the need for insurance and benefits etc don't get me wrong but it just felt like they were trying to take me to the cleaners. We'll see what happens, I have a tech on the way now so hopefully they can get it installed and configured properly.

Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

To put things in perspecive, on a single stage gas Trane furnace I replaced the control board yesteday. OEM board direct from Trane was $177 walkout. Again, not a variable speed by any means.

An ecm motor alone used in variable speed furnaces can cost more than a single stage complete furnace so the chances of a control baord for a variable speed being close to or well over $300 is not a rip off, it's just much more high tech than single stage furnace control boards.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote