Replacing A Condensing Unit With A Higher SEER Rating Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing a condensing unit with a higher SEER rating unit

The condensing unit for my central air system failed a week ago, and I'm trying to find out what my options are.

The technician is currently quoting $2500 to replace the existing 60,000 BTU R-22 unit with a similar R-22 unit. I'm not sure of the existing SEER rating, but since the system is about 20 years old I'm guessing around 6ish.

I also found a 13 SEER 60,000 BTU unit from the same manufacturer for $1500, or packaged with a matching 5-ton evaporator for $2100.

Would I be best off repairing the system as is with the $2500 replacement condenser, or is it possible to update the system with a higher SEER R-22 condenser?

Or should I just call it on this system and replace both the condenser and evaporater with an R-410a system + additional line upgrades, etc, and about how much would that cost (maintaining the current rating of the existing system)?

Advertisement

tylanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 334

depending on the age of the evaporator coil, i'd probably upgrade both to match them. i wouldn't bother going with a full R-410A upgrade since they will still sell R-22 through like 2019 and you can re-use the lines. most likely the evaporator coil isn't nearly as old as the outside unit because they tend to fail a lot more often and are replaced.

SEER ratings are for the entire system. there is no SEER rating for an individual component, even though they use the term loosely. a component will be designed for a complete system that is a certain tonnage and reaches a certain SEER.

Advertisement

NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,718

Replace both the condenser and the indoor coil.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Another vote for replace it all. Going to disagree with nate on getting r22 though. IMO there's no sence in buying a piece of equiptment that the refrigerant will no longer be able to be produced or imported in just a few years. It still will be available but at what cost?
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote