Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing a comfortamker with a hunter.

I want to replace my old comfortmaker 1F58-52 heat pump thermostat with a new hunter 44132 but I don't remember were the original wires were. A friend of mine took the wires off without labeling them and now my heat doesn't work.
The letters on the comfortmaker are:
G,R,X,E,Y,C,W1, and O
I have a 8 wires coming out of my wall.
The letters on the hunter for the heat pump side is:
R,Y,G,L,O,B,A/E,Y2, and C.
Please help, I really need my heat on.

kenyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

First thing is take the Hunter back and get a refund. Second, you need to go to the furnace and look on the circuit board, and find out what colors go to what terminals for the thermostat wiring.

A better thermostat buy, would be to get a Honeywell.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

The color of the wires generally get connected to the color indicator on the tstat.
Hang tight,some actual HVAC pros will be along to help you,
Not just tell you to return your tstat cause they think its crap. Hopefully you won't have to go the night without heat.
sublime2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sublime2 For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (11-05-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

sublime2, not always. Depends on who hooked it up originally, or if someone down the road made changes to the wiring along the road. The Hunter is a crap thermostat and does not belong anywhere close to a person's hvac system, and needs to be taken off of the market.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Go look at the wires on the air handler or furnace and note which color goes on each terminal. They'll be the same at the thermostat,most of the time.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

I merged your identical thread to this one. Other members will find it, though you sometimes get identical answers, thank you. Gary
Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
The color of the wires generally get connected to the color indicator on the tstat.
Hang tight,some actual HVAC pros will be along to help you,
Not just tell you to return your tstat cause they think its crap. Hopefully you won't have to go the night without heat.
I agree don't take it back. Hunter gets a bad name to much I have used every type of stat over many years and had my share of problems with all of them, sometimes you pay for the name not the product. Take your time and follow the directions and wiring diagrams close. You'll be alright.
ben's plumbing (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,820

Hunter makes a great ceiling fan.

As said earlier. You'll nee to see what wires are connected where at your indoor unit. may even need to go outside and check there. Not everyone uses the same color wires to connect to the same terminals. Sometimes black will be used for common, other times blue. You want to make sure you get it right the first time so you don't blow fuse, or worse, burn out a control.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-05-2012), gregzoll (11-05-2012), hvactech126 (11-05-2012), Technow (11-05-2012)