Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

replacing central air


I have an old central air unit (1984) Last year I had to have it recharged and worked great. The guy said there was no leaks. I had to have it recharged again mid summer. This year it's not working very good. I'm going to replace it with a newer unit that I have already, but I have to take it out of the other place. Whats the easiest way of doing that? The wires are easy but what about the coolant pipe?
I'm going to pay a guy to put it in but I'd like to get it here so he doesn't have to drive 2 hours north to take the old one out.
any help would be great,
Jason

jasonlemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 78
Rewards Points: 75
Default

replacing central air


Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlemieux View Post
I have an old central air unit (1984) Last year I had to have it recharged and worked great. The guy said there was no leaks. I had to have it recharged again mid summer. This year it's not working very good. I'm going to replace it with a newer unit that I have already, but I have to take it out of the other place. Whats the easiest way of doing that? The wires are easy but what about the coolant pipe?
I'm going to pay a guy to put it in but I'd like to get it here so he doesn't have to drive 2 hours north to take the old one out.
any help would be great,
Jason
You have to be licensed to deal with refrigerants - that is not a DIY "any old handyman" job. Hire someone who is licensed.

pjpjpjpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 2,238
Rewards Points: 1,004
Default

replacing central air


Shut the power off high/low voltage disconnect everything you can then have your buddy show up and remove the unit the proper way , truck it to your place and install it the right way.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

replacing central air


I'm already paying a guy to put it in? All I want to do is take it out. it's not a buddy just a guy.
jasonlemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 78
Rewards Points: 75
Default

replacing central air


Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlemieux View Post
I'm already paying a guy to put it in? All I want to do is take it out. it's not a buddy just a guy.
Again, you can get in big trouble with the law if you are found to be messing with refrigerants without a license. You need the right equipment and training. Hire someone licensed.
pjpjpjpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 426
Rewards Points: 318
Default

replacing central air


what you do is pump down the system which stores all the refrigerant in the condensing unit. this is a relatively simple task, however you do need pressure gauges and a couple of allen head wrenches to tighten down the valves. also, you can never pump the system all the way down to zero, so technically there will be a small amount of refrigerant left in the lines that would have to be vented to the atmosphere unless you had a way of evacuating it.

will you get into big trouble with the law if you vent a little refrigerant into the atmosphere? that's like asking if you will get into big trouble with the law if you go 10 over for a few minutes on the highway. when your system leaks, which every system does at some point, refrigerant leaks into the atmosphere. this happens every day all the time, mainly from evaporator coils. do they arrest you for that? no.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 78
Rewards Points: 75
Default

replacing central air


Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
will you get into big trouble with the law if you vent a little refrigerant into the atmosphere? that's like asking if you will get into big trouble with the law if you go 10 over for a few minutes on the highway. when your system leaks, which every system does at some point, refrigerant leaks into the atmosphere. this happens every day all the time, mainly from evaporator coils. do they arrest you for that? no.
You also don't get in trouble if you rob a bank and don't get caught. But I'd never recommend on this board that anyone rob a bank.

pjpjpjpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Central Vac problem strongbow Electrical 4 10-23-2010 08:49 PM
Replacing Windows? Kyle Remodeling 13 12-17-2009 07:03 PM
central air vs window units sharonjo General DIY Discussions 6 07-22-2009 08:37 PM
Central vac, freezer, and gas water heater on same circuit? curls00 Electrical 7 03-10-2008 09:57 PM
Replacing Wiring From Outside Fuse Box To Central Ac Compressor bobo Electrical 8 03-02-2007 09:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.