Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing central air

I have an old central air unit (1984) Last year I had to have it recharged and worked great. The guy said there was no leaks. I had to have it recharged again mid summer. This year it's not working very good. I'm going to replace it with a newer unit that I have already, but I have to take it out of the other place. Whats the easiest way of doing that? The wires are easy but what about the coolant pipe?
I'm going to pay a guy to put it in but I'd like to get it here so he doesn't have to drive 2 hours north to take the old one out.
any help would be great,
Jason

jasonlemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

replacing central air

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlemieux View Post
I have an old central air unit (1984) Last year I had to have it recharged and worked great. The guy said there was no leaks. I had to have it recharged again mid summer. This year it's not working very good. I'm going to replace it with a newer unit that I have already, but I have to take it out of the other place. Whats the easiest way of doing that? The wires are easy but what about the coolant pipe?
I'm going to pay a guy to put it in but I'd like to get it here so he doesn't have to drive 2 hours north to take the old one out.
any help would be great,
Jason
You have to be licensed to deal with refrigerants - that is not a DIY "any old handyman" job. Hire someone who is licensed.

pjpjpjpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,004

replacing central air

Shut the power off high/low voltage disconnect everything you can then have your buddy show up and remove the unit the proper way , truck it to your place and install it the right way.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

replacing central air

I'm already paying a guy to put it in? All I want to do is take it out. it's not a buddy just a guy.
jasonlemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

replacing central air

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlemieux View Post
I'm already paying a guy to put it in? All I want to do is take it out. it's not a buddy just a guy.
Again, you can get in big trouble with the law if you are found to be messing with refrigerants without a license. You need the right equipment and training. Hire someone licensed.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 318

replacing central air

what you do is pump down the system which stores all the refrigerant in the condensing unit. this is a relatively simple task, however you do need pressure gauges and a couple of allen head wrenches to tighten down the valves. also, you can never pump the system all the way down to zero, so technically there will be a small amount of refrigerant left in the lines that would have to be vented to the atmosphere unless you had a way of evacuating it.

will you get into big trouble with the law if you vent a little refrigerant into the atmosphere? that's like asking if you will get into big trouble with the law if you go 10 over for a few minutes on the highway. when your system leaks, which every system does at some point, refrigerant leaks into the atmosphere. this happens every day all the time, mainly from evaporator coils. do they arrest you for that? no.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #7

replacing central air

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
will you get into big trouble with the law if you vent a little refrigerant into the atmosphere? that's like asking if you will get into big trouble with the law if you go 10 over for a few minutes on the highway. when your system leaks, which every system does at some point, refrigerant leaks into the atmosphere. this happens every day all the time, mainly from evaporator coils. do they arrest you for that? no.
You also don't get in trouble if you rob a bank and don't get caught. But I'd never recommend on this board that anyone rob a bank.